• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Error when trying to install drivers

Amarah

May 4, 2010
Thought I'd give rooting another shot, but I'm still running into the same problem I did before.

When I try to update the device drivers, I get the following error message:

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Android Bootloader Interface

The system cannot find the file specified

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Are you installing them while booted in hboot?

Yep. Phones booted in hboot, I'm going to device manager on the pc, right clicking to update the drivers, navigating to the android usb driver folder on my desktop (unzipped, of course), and it acts like everything is fine, but then a pop-up happens with the error message above.

No idea what's going wrong. :(

Upvote 0
try un-installing the drivers, then plugging in your phone and let the new hardware wizard popup, then point the wizard to the android usb folder.
Or try redownloading the driver, they might be corrupt. Your computer is basically telling you that the driver file isn't where you are telling it is.

Your other option is to use a mac or ubuntu because you won't need to install drivers.

Upvote 0
try un-installing the drivers, then plugging in your phone and let the new hardware wizard popup, then point the wizard to the android usb folder.
Or try redownloading the driver, they might be corrupt. Your computer is basically telling you that the driver file isn't where you are telling it is.

Your other option is to use a mac or ubuntu because you won't need to install drivers.

Tried uninstalling and using the new hardware wizard, still no good. I've also tried redownloading the drivers about six times - to no avail.

I'm seriously pulling out my hair here. Sounds lika a mac or ubuntu might be my only option... :(

Upvote 0
Tried uninstalling and using the new hardware wizard, still no good. I've also tried redownloading the drivers about six times - to no avail.

I'm seriously pulling out my hair here. Sounds lika a mac or ubuntu might be my only option... :(

yeah the drivers are the most annoying part... For most people they are no problem but plenty of people have had problems with them too(hard to tell if it's user error, but I've had no problem on all iterations of windows, could just be luck or slight differences in oem versions)
Ubuntu only takes about 20 minutes to install and you can actually just run it off a thumb drive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones