• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ES file explorer - Windows 8

jra505

Aug 26, 2013
Hello all,

I'm having real difficulty getting both my phone (an i9305 S3) and my tablet (Samsung Tab 10.1) finding my PC through ES File Explorer, and just cannot get my head around it.

I've tried many things (make PC have static IP address, turn off firewall etc) but no matter what I do, whenever I use the scan function of ES File Explorer it finds nothing, or if I specify the IP address of my PC (the local address) it says "server not found".

As far as my router goes, it is a DIR-615 rev d, running DD-WRT. I think the router settings must be fine, because I am able to use things like Airdroid, which do allow me to connect PC to Android via the WiFi.

But, what I want to do is access the PC file structure from my Android, which as far as I can tell Airdroid does not support.

I suspect that the issue is to do with my security settings on Windows 8, but I've tried everything and have had no joy.

Has anyone else successfully got their android to connect to their Windows 8 PC using ES File Explorer?

By the way, if I use the SharesFinder app on my android, it does find my PC, so it is clearly not completely invisible.

Any help would be much appreciated, as this is driving me around the bend!!! :)

Thanks,

jra505

It may be related to the Homegroup stuff. I can't remember if it's the same in 8, I'll have to check tomorrow at work, but in 7 you would do something like this:
1. Control Panel, find Homegroup
2. Advanced Settings
3. Scroll most of the way down and find a thing about passwords, turn it off. Pretty sure you can still set permissions and passwords and stuff, but default Homegroup password settings require a password before you can even open a connection, not just to access stuff.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answers guys, but I don't think that is it - there is a setting called "Home group connections", which I think is the one you might be referring to, and I've changed it to "use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers", but this did not seem to work. The other option is "Allow windows to manage homegroup connections".

There does appear to be a homegroup password, but I cannot see how to remove it. It is a random jumble of letters and numbers, i.e. not something that I created.

Upvote 0
None of that sounds the the option I tried to describe. Leaving the password blank isn't it either.

Use the Homegroup Feature in Windows 7 to Share Printers and Files
turnoffpw.png

^That's the option I was describing. I think it will need to be turned off to be compatible.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid that doesn't seem to be it either - that option was set to off already. I tried turning it on, but it still didn't work.....

I wonder whether removing my PC from the home group might help? I don't have any other computers on the network, so I'm not going to upset anything else.

Upvote 0
I'm running ES as well on my TBolt and my Nook. I'm also running Windows 8 on my desktop and laptop.

In ES, make sure your domain is listed just as it is on your PC. Mine is all caps. It really shouldn't make a difference, but might. So XYZ is different that Xyz.

Same with machine and username. Passwords are usually case-sensitive. So PaSsWoRd is different than password.

I don't recall having to do anything special on my PC-side with Homegroup or whatnot. Try this and if it doesn't work, post back. I'll go through my PC settings with a finetooth comb. (I'm at work at the moment, and my PC is turned off at home so...)

Upvote 0
I didn't think my PC was on a domain, but on a Workgroup called WORKGROUP. I just checked the domain settings in Control Panel, and when I press the network ID button I get two options - one says "this computer is part of a business network", and the other says "this is a home computer". I pressed the second option, restarted my machine, and found that the setting had reverted back to the business option.

I read somewhere that this might be due to a group policy, from a previous domain, automatically changing the settings, but I'm not sure I've ever even been on a domain!

Upvote 0
To see if it's on a domain click "Change..." instead of "Network ID...". The "Network ID..." button doesn't show you any settings, it just provides a wizard. I've never heard of anyone actually using it.

However, if it is your home computer then it is not on a domain. If it is an office computer it may be on a domain. Not being on a domain doesn't mean you can't have group policies; they can be set locally too. Run gpedit.msc -- you can run it from a command prompt, a Run dialog, File Explorer address bar, etc. You can edit local group policy there.

Upvote 0
To see if it's on a domain click "Change..." instead of "Network ID...". The "Network ID..." button doesn't show you any settings, it just provides a wizard. I've never heard of anyone actually using it.

However, if it is your home computer then it is not on a domain. If it is an office computer it may be on a domain. Not being on a domain doesn't mean you can't have group policies; they can be set locally too. Run gpedit.msc -- you can run it from a command prompt, a Run dialog, File Explorer address bar, etc. You can edit local group policy there.

Just tried the above, and it does indeed appear from that as though my comp is not a domain but on a workgroup. I just tried changing my workgroup name, and upon restarting my computer got a message saying that my Windows installation was no longer activated and I had to phone an automated service to reactivate it!!

Upvote 0
Ok, looking at ES here are my settings:

Domain: SIN (this is the name of my workgroup as it appears in my machine settings; yours should be WORKGROUP if that's how it's listed)
Server: Greed (this is the NetBIOS name of my desktop)
Username: Mike (my username on my desktop)
Password: <my password on my desktop machine>

Anonymous is not checked.

Display as: Home (or whatever you want to call the shortcut).

If it doesn't work with the name of your machine, open a CMD prompt and type

ipconfig /all |more

Look for the IPv4 address. It should be something like 192.168.1.100(Preferred)

Put that address in the Server: field

Upvote 0
Ok, looking at ES here are my settings:

Domain: SIN (this is the name of my workgroup as it appears in my machine settings; yours should be WORKGROUP if that's how it's listed)
Server: Greed (this is the NetBIOS name of my desktop)
Username: Mike (my username on my desktop)
Password: <my password on my desktop machine>

Anonymous is not checked.

Display as: Home (or whatever you want to call the shortcut).

If it doesn't work with the name of your machine, open a CMD prompt and type

ipconfig /all |more

Look for the IPv4 address. It should be something like 192.168.1.100(Preferred)

Put that address in the Server: field

Thanks for looking this up, but still no joy I'm afraid - I've used the IPv4 address, which is the static one I set up when following the guide you sent a link to, and I'm pretty sure I've got all of the other things correct. I'm convinced the issue is to do with a setting on my PC.

Upvote 0
Do you think it is an issue that my PC is not connected directly to my router but via WiFi? When I run the SharesFinder app on my phone, it does find something with my PC's IP address, but labels it as my TP Link WiFi adapter and not as my PC.

There's nothing inherent to wifi that makes it any less compatible with filesharing than wired.

There could potentially be something with your router blocking stuff.

Upvote 0
I did wonder about that, but then Airdroid works OK and that also uses the router to make a connection between the phone and PC.

Yup, but Airdroid doesn't use the same protocols, same ports, etc.

Can you borrow another router, or take your computer and phone somewhere else, just for the sake of testing? It would be nice to rule out the router as the cause of the problem.

Also, do you have another computer you can use to test?

Upvote 0
Yup, but Airdroid doesn't use the same protocols, same ports, etc.

Can you borrow another router, or take your computer and phone somewhere else, just for the sake of testing? It would be nice to rule out the router as the cause of the problem.

Also, do you have another computer you can use to test?

I think I'm going to end up doing all of the above, in one way or another. I'm visiting my sister in law this weekend, and so can try it with her PC/Router, and on top of that I've also just ordered a new router for myself! (not specifically for this issue, but I've been thinking about upgrading for some time and this was just another excuse to finally go for it.............)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones