• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO Automatic On/Off functionality or app

Strong

Jun 5, 2010
My blackberry used to turn on if an alarm was set to go off and the phone was off.

Is there a setting or app to make the EVO turn on when an alarm is set to go off? Or just turn on at a specific time.

Appbrain produced nothing useful.

Or do I just have to sleep with my phone plugged in all night?

If you are asking for an app that will actually boot up the phone from a stone cold dead shutdown state, then that is not possible. Android does not work like that... and it would require special programming on the hardware side, not an app.

If you want your phone to be able to sleep without using much battery then install the power widget and turn off all radios and syncing before you set your alarm and go to bed. My evo only loses a couple percent at night in this state.

Upvote 0
My blackberry used to turn on if an alarm was set to go off and the phone was off.

Is there a setting or app to make the EVO turn on when an alarm is set to go off? Or just turn on at a specific time.

Appbrain produced nothing useful.

Or do I just have to sleep with my phone plugged in all night?

The Evo doesn't do that. I miss it too. Here's your best bet for a replacement solution:

Download Timeriffic from the Market or from AppBrain (it's free).

Create a profile that puts your phone into Airplane mode during the hours you normally sleep.

It doesn't prevent battery loss completely but it will keep your phone from talking to the network at night, which will get you most of the way there.

Upvote 0
I came from Blackberry, too, and I really miss this feature. I would turn my phone off at night when at my girlfriends in order to keep the phone from dying. It would turn itself on and alarm me in the morning, and the battery was exactly how I left it eight hours previous.

The airplane mode seems to be a decent workaround. But with the EVO battery I'll probably just be keeping it plugged in.

On another note, the native alarm is WAY to easy to turn off or dismiss. I need something that has more obvious snooze buttons in the morning.

Upvote 0
Guys, those Blackberries weren't actually off. They were in a low, low power state. If they were truly off, they couldn't turn back on (as they would have no idea what time to turn on, nor any way to check).

You can't expect a computer to compute when it isn't on :p

That said, Android doesn't do that, and won't. Smartphones in general do not do that anymore. Blackberries still have that old functionality because, to be honest, they're just like they were years and years ago.

The best solution I can offer is to put it in airplane mode. It will use VERY LITTLE power with it like that, and the screen off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones