• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo E-mail Tips for iPhone Users

mmoss2

Lurker
Jul 8, 2010
I switched to EVO from an iPhone 3g that I had used for about 2 years. At first, I hated the EVO's e-mail app because it took 3 or 4 (or more...) taps on the EVO to do the same thing I could do on the iPhone with 1 tap. Now that I've used the EVO for a while, I realize you have to take a different approach. I don't have things down to 1 tap, but here are some things I've learned/found useful that make the e-mail app more workable for me:

1. My Problem: while reading an e-mail, you don't have an otpion to move your e-mail to a folder.

My Solution: On the iPhone, you delete or move messages to folders from within the e-mail. On the EVO, you do it from the list of e-mails. There are 2 ways to do this. To move or delete, just tap and hold the message and you will get a popup menu. You can tap on "Delete" or "Move to".

Another Solution: In your list of e-mail, you can also tap Menu and Delete. You will then have the option to mark multiple e-mails and delete them all at once. Or you can tap Menu, More, and Move to. You will then have the option to mark multiple e-mails and move them all into the same folder at once.

2. My Problem: On the iPhone, you can tap "send" at any time. On the EVO, I have to hide the keyboard and scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap send.

My Solution: If you are typing an e-mail, you can tap on Menu and tap send while the keyboard is still up.

I use my EVO at work constantly for e-mail while in meetings. These are only a few small things that were probably obvious to others, but they've made the EVO e-mail much more workable for me. I was just not at all used to having a "Menu" button ... If anyone has other e-mail tips, I would love to know what they are.

I switched to EVO from an iPhone 3g that I had used for about 2 years. At first, I hated the EVO's e-mail app because it took 3 or 4 (or more...) taps on the EVO to do the same thing I could do on the iPhone with 1 tap. Now that I've used the EVO for a while, I realize you have to take a different approach. I don't have things down to 1 tap, but here are some things I've learned/found useful that make the e-mail app more workable for me:

1. My Problem: while reading an e-mail, you don't have an otpion to move your e-mail to a folder.

My Solution: On the iPhone, you delete or move messages to folders from within the e-mail. On the EVO, you do it from the list of e-mails. There are 2 ways to do this. To move or delete, just tap and hold the message and you will get a popup menu. You can tap on "Delete" or "Move to".

Another Solution: In your list of e-mail, you can also tap Menu and Delete. You will then have the option to mark multiple e-mails and delete them all at once. Or you can tap Menu, More, and Move to. You will then have the option to mark multiple e-mails and move them all into the same folder at once.

2. My Problem: On the iPhone, you can tap "send" at any time. On the EVO, I have to hide the keyboard and scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap send.

My Solution: If you are typing an e-mail, you can tap on Menu and tap send while the keyboard is still up.

I use my EVO at work constantly for e-mail while in meetings. These are only a few small things that were probably obvious to others, but they've made the EVO e-mail much more workable for me. I was just not at all used to having a "Menu" button ... If anyone has other e-mail tips, I would love to know what they are.

Happy to see you're "getting by" on android. lol
Just to add to your tips if I may. It is also VERY easy to send an email to multiple people at one time. while, in the compose screen, (where you also can choose which email to send from) tap the little icon in the top right, and bring up the contact picker. You will be able to check off recipients (even a very large number) for your email. and then return to your compose screen to send.

Upvote 0
Happy to see you're "getting by" on android. lol
Just to add to your tips if I may. It is also VERY easy to send an email to multiple people at one time. while, in the compose screen, (where you also can choose which email to send from) tap the little icon in the top right, and bring up the contact picker. You will be able to check off recipients (even a very large number) for your email. and then return to your compose screen to send.

Thanks - I hadn't found that yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones