• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo V 4G RUU Flashing guide / Unroot guide

I've been tryng to flash the JMZ stock rom but keep getting the error "Md5 file not found" and the flash gets aborted. What bothers me is that I flashed that rom when I first unlocked and rooted the phone and don't remember getting that message, but I could be wrong. I'm using the same rom file that I flashed the first time (it is still on my sd card). So, how can I correct this? Thanks.

Uncheck the option when you get ready to flash. I think its call md5 verification

Upvote 0
when I click on this link: http://htcruu.com/?dir=Shooter I get "403 Forbidden" message. I tried the link right after that: http://www.freefilehosting.net/pg86img but the zip file does not contain a file called RUU.exe

I have made it as far as relocking my device but can't go any further because the step that says to run RUU.exe can't be completed. What am I missing here?
There seems to be a problem with the htcruu.com website, but you can download the RUU.exe from here.

ramjet73

Reactions: mrawesome22
Upvote 0
I located the file and restored the phone to stock. But now that I've updated the phone's software from HTC, I can't restore my SMS backup I made right before. I am very ticked!!
How did you back up your SMS messages? If you did a nandroid backup of your ROM in recovery before you flashed the RUU there's an app available in the Play Store that might be able to restore them from that.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
OK, but how did you do the SMS backup you mentioned in your previous post?

ramjet73

Went into the standard text messenger app on the phone and hit SMS Backup, created a file name and backed it up. It just failed to load them back up after the update. Oh and just a FYI for everyone, this update has completely transformed the phone. It now calls every time I try to make a call, I had my wife call me throughout the day to make sure the calls were coming through and all of them did! Also, I have had my Wifi and 4G turned on since the update and haven't loss signal once. I get more bars than before and I see a 4G connection more often as well. Great update, just WAY too late! :):):):)

Upvote 0
Quick noob question.

If I unroot my phone back to stock and do the ota updates to fix my radio and etc. Will re-rooting the phone undue those ota fixes?
No.

The software patches applied to the stock ROM by the OTA will be undone when flashing a custom ROM unless the developer has incorporated them but the firmware won't be affected unless you update it.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
So when I flash the stock rooted rom, the ota fixes will still be in place?
If you flash the OTA before rooting and keep the stock ROM installed by the RUU, the software patches from the OTA will remain.

A developer could do the same thing and use that as a base for their ROM, but you would need to check the OP of the thread for the ROM to determine that.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
I am unable to get my phone to boot into android. It keeps going to the Fastboot USB, if I choose Bootloader, it loads the SD card but the rom.zip file i renamed and copied over it says either no image or wrong image. Tried to do adb reboot bootloader, but it error's saying device not found.... HELP!!!

I have an HTC Evo V 4G from Virgin Mobile

Upvote 0
I'm just going to leave mine unrooted because I can't get a straight answer as to whether I will lose my new radio updates if I reroot it or not. This phone is working so good right now I'm afraid to screw with it.

Unlocking the bootloader and flashing a rom will not change your radio. You have to manually change your radio by being s-off and flashing it through the bootloader with a special PG86IMG.zip file.

Plus if you do it, and think that for whatever reason it's not working as well, you can always run the RUU again.

Upvote 0
Having a problem unrooting my phone.
In the OP in step 2, it says to type in the command prompt "fastboot oem lock" and hit enter. but when I do that, it comes back "INFO[ERR] Command Error!!!". I even try to do the next step of "reboot bootloader" on the phone, but I do not get the "Locked" at the top of the screen to show it has taken.
Also, up until this point, everything has gone according to the instructions, including typing "fastboot" to insure I am in the right folder & mode.

Upvote 0
Having a problem unrooting my phone.
In the OP in step 2, it says to type in the command prompt "fastboot oem lock" and hit enter. but when I do that, it comes back "INFO[ERR] Command Error!!!". I even try to do the next step of "reboot bootloader" on the phone, but I do not get the "Locked" at the top of the screen to show it has taken.
Also, up until this point, everything has gone according to the instructions, including typing "fastboot" to insure I am in the right folder & mode.

Are you on a stock bootloader?
If you haven't, I would highly suggest running an RUU before re-locking the bootloader. And if you are s-off and wanting to turn s-on again, make sure you don't turn s-on until on a stock locked bootloader!

Reactions: Kamau
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones