• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Excessive data downloads generated by Gmail

iggj

Lurker
Jul 2, 2010
Level 1
2:34 PM
Following major and ongoing Outlook file corruption (still unresolved) I switched to using Gmail as a temporary measure. I loaded all my address book (2,500 contacts) and my calendar. I already had Gmail email sync'd with the phone (HTC Legend/Android 2.2). Every time I checked the sync/manage accounts page it was showing a problem with syncing on Google. I didn't think much about it - just left it to sort itself out. This eventually took about 4 days, retrying about every 20 minutes and, as I now find, downloading each time between 2 and 6Mb of data. The result is that, in just 4 days, I downloaded 750Mb, busting my monthly allowance of 500Mb and incurring extra phone costs. It now seems to by sync'd OK and there have been no further significant downloads but, in fear of a repeat, I've switched off sync and will just use it if I need to update the file. This rather defeats the object of an online, on-demand system (although it doesn't stop Gmail messages, fortunately). It's also really puzzling considering that, prior to switching to Gmail, I could sync the whole of my Outlook (contacts and calendar) using HTC Sync in about 30 seconds. Also, the contacts file on Gmail was still pretty much the same as the one already on the phone so, despite the overall size, the level of syncing changes should have been minimal. To make matters worse, it has also generated a quite significant proportion (about 10%) of duplicate contacts on the phone version of the address book. Am I just unlucky here - or is this a more general problem that we haven't been warned about?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones