• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Facebook notifications keep turning themselves back on

pppniceguy

Lurker
May 9, 2013
Hi folks,
New poster here. I have a regular stock Bionic. I got the Jelly Bean update over the air. Since then, every time I turn off Facebook notifications, they turn themselves back on again. And I think that this happens every time I power off the phone. It definitely happens regularly.

Notes:
- I'm not 100% sure that this phenomenon begin exactly when I installed Jelly Bean, but it was at the very least right around the same time.
- I'm not 100% sure that this phenomenon occurs every time I power down my phone and not at other times, but it seems that there's at least a strong correlation between powering off and notifications turning themselves back on.
- This is not happening with other apps' notifications that I have turned off.
- I did a factory data reset when Ice Cream Sandwich came over the air (thanks to this forum!)
- I cleared my cache when Jelly Bean came over the air (thanks again to this forum!)

Is there anything I can do to turn them off forever? Any help would be much appreciated!

Sounds like you started correctly with the FDR under ICS.
Clearing the cache has worked for some under JB but a FDR may be necessary as well.
Before you do that though, is FB the only app you are currently having an issue with?
If so, before you try a FDR, from the home screen go into Menu, manage apps, ALL, find Facebook, then do each of these...
Clear Cache
Clear Data
Force Stop
Uninstall Updates

That should wipe out any retained FB settings.

Close out of the menus and reboot.
The market should then re-download the most current version of FB.

NOTE:
I have noticed that FB is NOTORIOUS for assuming that every time they release a patch that means I want all of my notifications turned back on, vibration turned back on, refresh set back to 30 min, notification tone set back to default...:mad::mad::mad: There might not be anything wrong with your phone at all.

Upvote 0
Yes! This happens with my Droid 3, though not as often as you are reporting. There was a time recently that Facebook was updating the app outside the app store, but only if you have "allow third party installs" turned on. Google just disallowed this behavior, so I don't think it's that anymore, but I do know that every single time the Facebook app updates, I had to go in to make sure that notifications were set the way that I want. The good news is that it hasn't happened for a few weeks to me.

Inside the Facebook app, hit menu and report bug and let them know what is happening to you. That's what I do every time that I need to reset notifications.

Upvote 0
Screw factory resets, this is a Facebook bug. Also seeing it on a Galaxy Nexus with 4.2.2. Five times in 3 weeks, all notifications have been flipped on and vibrate re-enabled.

Fortunately with Jellybean you can also ban them at the OS level if you find an app is abusing its notification privileges. Just find the app under Settings > Apps and uncheck "Show notifications".

In my case the only notifications I did want from FB were Messages. So I installed FB messenger but banned the main FB app from notifications. This should accomplish the same as my desired end result.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones