• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory Data Reset; Recover Data?

I own a Samsung Galaxy Y and I recently did a Factory Data Reset. I wrongly assumed that the notes in the default Memo application were stored on the SD card and they were not - hence why I didn't find any of my old notes after the reset. However, I need an old note I used to have.
Is there any software which can scan & try to recover some of the data (the notes in the Memo app)?

There are some apps that may. However, a) none of them are free (some recover pictures for free, you have to pay to turn on the rest), b) anything overwritten since the wipe can't be recovered (you can't have the old note and a new picture in the same place in storage) and c) installing the recovery program could overwrite the note.

You could try PhotoRec - CGSecurity on the part of the phone's storage that shows on the computer when you plug the phone in, but a) I have no idea if the notes are stored there and b) I've never tried PhotoRec on a phone plugged into the computer. (It can't damage anything, it doesn't write to the source, it just might not find anything.) But it's free, so you could try it. (And it doesn't install on the phone, so it won't overwrite anything on the phone.)

Upvote 0
@ Rukbat - First of all, thank you for your reply!
I have tried not to do anything that could potentially write new information onto the internal memory. I googled potential apps and found Yodot[1]. However, after installing Yodot on my computer and running the recovery process, it gets stuck at 98%, and it doesn't end the scanning process. Even more, trying to cancel the process doesn't work either and I end up closing the application altogether.

[1] - Recover Data from Android Phone after Factory Reset

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones