• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

should i factory reset to solve these problems?

BloodBlade

May 2, 2012
manufacturer - Samsung
model - Galaxy A14 5G
Software version - 6U
not rooted

I've noticed weird problems on my cell lately. first my Facebook notifications on Facebook dating it seems and feed were missing new posts when compared to using Facebook on the computer. i tried several times to change my password and other security settings but nothing works it seems. i notice tabs to web sites i didn't visit open on my browsers sometimes. sometimes my Microsoft Authenticator passwords for Facebook don't work. i cant find exactly to disable install from unknown sources because i believe its on. those are the problems I've noticed lately. should i factory reset? I've tried it before on a previous cellphone and had a backup from google but doing that doesn't that bring back these sort of problems? will i have to buy my purchased apps again? also i downloaded a android software update today and after on lock screen it showed this symbol

IMG_E2156.JPG

i googled it and i never played around with debugging mode before or developer options.

can someone please assist?

P.S. sorry i couldn't think of a better header to better describe this post.

manufacturer - Samsung
model - Galaxy A14 5G
Software version - 6U
not rooted

I've noticed weird problems on my cell lately. first my Facebook notifications on Facebook dating it seems and feed were missing new posts when compared to using Facebook on the computer. i tried several times to change my password and other security settings but nothing works it seems. i notice tabs to web sites i didn't visit open on my browsers sometimes. sometimes my Microsoft Authenticator passwords for Facebook don't work. i cant find exactly to disable install from unknown sources because i believe its on. those are the problems I've noticed lately. should i factory reset? I've tried it before on a previous cellphone and had a backup from google but doing that doesn't that bring back these sort of problems? will i have to buy my purchased apps again? also i downloaded a android software update today and after on lock screen it showed this symbol

View attachment 169412

i googled it and i never played around with debugging mode before or developer options.

can someone please assist?

P.S. sorry i couldn't think of a better header to better describe this post.
try uninstalling facebook and re-installing it, if possible. if anything wipe cache and data for facebook. you will need to log back into facebook so make sure you know the username and password.

as far as doing a factory reset goes......that should be your last option. and no you will not need to buy your apps again. you just sign back into google and you can download and install your apps again.

if you do plan on doing a factory reset, back everything up with samsung's smart switch utility.

as for that symbol. where do you see this again? on the lockscreen?

Upvote 0
try uninstalling facebook and re-installing it, if possible. if anything wipe cache and data for facebook. you will need to log back into facebook so make sure you know the username and password.

as far as doing a factory reset goes......that should be your last option. and no you will not need to buy your apps again. you just sign back into google and you can download and install your apps again.

if you do plan on doing a factory reset, back everything up with samsung's smart switch utility.

as for that symbol. where do you see this again? on the lockscreen?
hi

ok so i uninstalled and reinstalled fb and wiped cache and data and now it looks like its outdated feature wise at least in fb dating that i noticed. it didnt ask for my password i just had to click on my profile icon and i signed in.

will signing back into google after a reset bring back my problems tho? cause im beginninng to think i was hacked.

i saw that symbol on lock screen below the time and date in the middle. i rebooted my cell today and it appeared again. im worried now. cause i never played with developer options on this cell.

Upvote 0
hi

ok so i uninstalled and reinstalled fb and wiped cache and data and now it looks like its outdated feature wise at least in fb dating that i noticed. it didnt ask for my password i just had to click on my profile icon and i signed in.

will signing back into google after a reset bring back my problems tho? cause im beginninng to think i was hacked.

i saw that symbol on lock screen below the time and date in the middle. i rebooted my cell today and it appeared again. im worried now. cause i never played with developer options on this cell.
no signing into google should not pose any problems.

why do you think you are hacked? hackers don't just hack just to hack for the fun of it. they want either your money or access to your contacts. if you think you are hacked, just factory reset the phone....or even better do a hard reset. this will wipe any remote access software that might have been installed. also keep in mind that this will wipe your data so backup accordingly. i would also setup two step verification wherever possible.

That's the icon for Android 13 (which is Android T). Perfectly normal to see that as a notification after a software update.
^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^ as far as that symbol goes.

Upvote 0
no signing into google should not pose any problems.

why do you think you are hacked? hackers don't just hack just to hack for the fun of it. they want either your money or access to your contacts. if you think you are hacked, just factory reset the phone....or even better do a hard reset. this will wipe any remote access software that might have been installed. also keep in mind that this will wipe your data so backup accordingly. i would also setup two step verification wherever possible.

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^ as far as that symbol goes.
let's just say i may have pissed off the wrong person who lives near me and i believe is knowledgeable of stuff like that, it angers me just talking about it so ill just leave it at that.

ok ill do a hard reset. ill google it but if you happen to know a good guide link please lmk. one question will that method affect my purchased apps? i always use two step verification. i even use a additional fingerprint login via bitdefender on some apps now. do i use that samsung app you mentioned before hard reset?

thats just weird cause like i said it appeared again like i said after mere rebooting my phone and i wasnt even installing a update. same place and all it appeared. just strange to me.

Upvote 0
let's just say i may have pissed off the wrong person who lives near me and i believe is knowledgeable of stuff like that, it angers me just talking about it so ill just leave it at that.

ok ill do a hard reset. ill google it but if you happen to know a good guide link please lmk. one question will that method affect my purchased apps? i always use two step verification. i even use a additional fingerprint login via bitdefender on some apps now. do i use that samsung app you mentioned before hard reset?

thats just weird cause like i said it appeared again like i said after mere rebooting my phone and i wasnt even installing a update. same place and all it appeared. just strange to me.
yes use smart switch to back things up. but be careful it can backup and remote access software as well.

Upvote 0
yes use smart switch to back things up. but be careful it can backup and remote access software as well.

thank you ocnbrze for your help! greatly appreciated! just one more question for now. how can avoid bringing back remote access software? or is it in the link? just figured id ask since you are very knowledgeable.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
hi

so i did what you suggested recently but i have to do it again i messed up. i have a backup from the samsung app but when do you use the restore? after factory hard reset? if so what do i put during the setup process after factory reset? do i not agree to log in into my gmail account?

Upvote 0
hi

so i did what you suggested recently but i have to do it again i messed up. i have a backup from the samsung app but when do you use the restore? after factory hard reset? if so what do i put during the setup process after factory reset? do i not agree to log in into my gmail account?
You use the backup after the reset and after you log in to your Google account

Upvote 0
When's the last time you reinstalled the operating system (that is, reset the device)? It's good practice to do that once every few years anyway. If it's been a few years: When the computer (and smartphones are computers) is having problems, that's a good excuse to get around to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones