Factory reset...General

1. Ametz

Ametz Active Member

I have noticed something on most forums that deal with phones, but i wonder WHY....

Why is "Factory reset" for phones the new stupid universal answer to any and all problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Advertisement
  2. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

You're not reading enough. Lurk moar, then do a reset.
  3. MrClean

MrClean Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people do it as an 'easy fix', although it's really not. On rare occasions I've done one, but that was related to rooting issues I believe.
  4. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

I do it every few months to keep the system 'clean'. Nothing wrong with it (especially if I constantly uninstall and reinstall apps). There are always remnants that remain that can and will gum something up in the future. I do this with Windows as well where I will format it every 6 months to a year dependent on usage (yeah and have to call them up to validate my key). And people think a factory reset is a lot of grief?

Factory resets are usually a last resort in troubleshooting. Generally speaking, it does clear most software related issues. Such as conflicting drivers or software. Or perhaps a corrupted process/file. Even with an uninstall, software can still have a remnant remaining behind that can cause ill effects on the device. However, there are times where a factory reset doesn't fix an issue; which sometimes points toward a hardware issue.
    dustwun77 and dontpanicbobby like this.