• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[FALSE. HTC has made 2.2 Avail NOW! 8-2-2010] EVO 4G Froyo 2.2 Update Suspended Indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone can thank us Beta testers for a cleaner install of Froyo. Otherwise people would have been cursing left and right if they pushed this update out. Not that it isn't stable once you correct everything, but that is just it. It took a lot of us to hard reset our device to get everything working correctly after the update. There was alot of things I guess that might have been incompatible by just upgrading the OS and not clearing everything out.

That is not good for an update that is just suppose to work with a hard reset.

So, for anyone who does not care about hard resetting their device, and not everyone will need to, the leaked 2.2 has worked pretty flawlessly for me over the past few days after the hard reset to bring my camera back.

A hint is that they mentioned incompatibilities with certain apps. I never had to do a hard reset...it just worked perfectly for me right off the bat. But I don't have too many apps installed (about 30). I think the upgrade clashed with some apps people had and ultimately caused forced them to do a hard reset.

Interesting note above about them adding new features though. That may be the line Sprint is taking, but I don't think that's all there is to it.

Upvote 0
OP is correct.

I spoke with "april" over the phone minutes ago. She indeed told me HTC has pulled the update. She stated HTC found some issues that warranted they pull this update back off the server. this is also why HTC stated they will work with people who have already installed the leaked update as there were indeed some issues that will interfere with CERTAIN types of apps and the operation of the Android OS.

She of course gave no update but she stated when HTC delayed 2.0 it was about a couple of months so this may give us a ball park. she did NOT know an update and the "couple of months" comment is not scientific...could be longer.. could be shorter.

im still going to hold off on installing the leaked file i have and wait until HTC releases the correct update. in the meantime i think ill try one of those Dx keyboards...

and ooh she knew about this as early as today morning CST....

Many thanks for the info.

I have an opinion on HTC's statement now.

Here, despite our differences, we came together as a community and nailed down that many, many, many different symptoms and defects were cleared with any or all of these steps:

• Removing uncooperative apps, for example:
    • LED Light known to interfere with camera
    • Flash 10 for 2.1 known to interfere with this release
    • Engadget app/widget caused unusual CPU consumption
    • Task cleaners and killers - despite my earlier advice, I no longer trust any task killer or cleaner for 2.2 and have removed them completely
  • Stop babbling sync error
  • Factory reset followed by - or for some, just doing this next one:
  • Network app-> Change CDMA auto (PRL) to GSM, exit, restart Network app, change back to CDMA auto (PRL) -- remember to update your PRL!

That's a short list to knock down a LOT of apparent bugs.

I can only imagine the real trouble that people that just winged it by seeing an Engadget or other blog post - or maybe not getting as squared away as in other forums as we did here - are really suffering right now.

It's therefore entirely possible that HTC will either be advising a factory reset - or they may be handing out a regression package to 2.1 to the masses.

That would be a shame.

I certainly hope they know that the package is far less defective than a casual inspection of the number and nature of reported defects might suggest.

I would instead that any further 2.2 delay would be include a furthering of the H.264 video recording feature, an update to the 3d Photo Gallery, a lifting of the fps cap (if really supported by the phone's chipset WITH full, long-term reliability) and along with that the correspondent improvement in touch input time.

The number one thing the press assessed about the EVO when it came out was: great phone, short battery life.

Those days are over - with a properly configured 2.2 EVO, and no other tricky-tricks - the battery life is outstanding.

PS - The CDMA auto (PRL)->GSM->CDMA auto (PRL) isn't a stand-on-one-leg, phases-of-the-moon thing. There a foundation for this within the dual radio control capability of the EVO's 8650 Snapdragon processor - even though we don't have a GSM radio.

PPS - NEVER MIND THIS POST (unless you need the fix advices) AND WAY TO GO HTC/Sprint!!! w00t!!

Upvote 0
There's pretty much no reason not to install the Official But Not Really 2.2. If you're rooted, just run Titanium Bakcup to back your stuff up and do a reset and have at the stock rooted ROM. Toss in netarchy's FPS fix kernel and you're solid! I've had no issues at all with it with moderate to heavy usage.

Yea but in the release notes for the kernal it caps your camera at 3megapixels...that's a problem for me..I want 100% functionality....once he figures that out...ill def make the switch

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones