• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Family Plan changes and new phones from Amazon

Me and my sister are both planning on buying Droid 4s. Rather than pay the $200 per phone cost at Verizon we are interested in paying $140 from amazon to get both.

However currently we are on a family share plan where we each have unlimited 3g data. Our usage together is actually fairly low <3gb most months. We have already calculated that even ordering a 10g family plan saves us a lot of money each month.

My question is when is the best time to switch our plans? Should we change our plans NOW and THEN order the phones from amazon?

OR

Should we get the phones and THEN take them into the store and do the activations/plan changes?

Thank you all for the help figuring this out!

How much are you paying for your current plan? A 10 gig Share Everything plan for 2 lines would be $180 before taxes/fees. I'm just asking because there is a lot of confusion still, it may be a great deal for you of course, but for some it just plain isn't.

Can't help you with your actual question though, I've never gotten a phone through Amazon. I think though that it will prompt you to change plans when you go through the order process.

Upvote 0
Well, I think switching to the family share plan first is a good idea, and here is why. Since you are going with Amazon, you will be subject to an additional set of terms and conditions for your contract, which is in effect for the first 6 months of your new contract. It limits the types of plan changes you can make. While I don't you will run into any issues, there is the slight possibility that if you buy the phones from amazon first, and they mess up your plan and just switch you to the 2GB tiered plan, with the same minute plan you are on now (as opposed to the Share Everything plan that you want), it could also cause hassles for you when you try to change your plan to the share everything plan afterwards through Verizon. Switching plans before doing this just reduces the chances of something getting hosed up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones