• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ-GUIDE] ClockWorkMod Optimus Elite

Hi all..
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but it is related. I got root access and root check with giantpune's poot method. It worked flawlessly. Now I want to do the back up w/CWM so I can uninstall all the stock bloatware.

My questions are: Do I have to use an external device for the nandroid backup? I've read that I do, and in other places that I don't. I'm confused. If so, can I use an external sd card? I'd rather just do everything on/from the phone if I can, but I'll buy and external sd card if I have to.

My PC is a dinosaur and probably doesn't have the memory, and my other one is an old imac, on which android apps won't work with.

If this is the wrong thread for this question, I apologize. Thanks in advance! You guys are great!

You could use the internal or external SD for just about everything in CWM5/6

Reactions: 1nweltownr
Upvote 0
Hi all..
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but it is related. I got root access and root check with giantpune's poot method. It worked flawlessly. Now I want to do the back up w/CWM so I can uninstall all the stock bloatware.

My questions are: Do I have to use an external device for the nandroid backup? I've read that I do, and in other places that I don't. I'm confused. If so, can I use an external sd card? I'd rather just do everything on/from the phone if I can, but I'll buy and external sd card if I have to.

My PC is a dinosaur and probably doesn't have the memory, and my other one is an old imac, on which android apps won't work with.

If this is the wrong thread for this question, I apologize. Thanks in advance! You guys are great!

You can use both but I'd recommend buying an External SD Card. You only get 2Gb's or space on the Internal for anything that you download or have music or whatever. And a CWM backup can run anywhere between 300-900+ MB's. It isn't pretty haha.

Upvote 0
You can use both but I'd recommend buying an External SD Card. You only get 2Gb's or space on the Internal for anything that you download or have music or whatever. And a CWM backup can run anywhere between 300-900+ MB's. It isn't pretty haha.

Sd cards are pretty cheap too. I got a 16gb on eBay for 8 bucks

Upvote 0
I was able to follow the guide lines provided in this thread and able to successfully put the Sleipnir ROM, many Thanks

I like to remove CMW and unroot the phone to make it more secure with this new ROM

is it possible?

If you follow the unstuck unmbrick method here:

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=628919

Unbricking your Sprint or Virgin Mobile USA phone using official tools and dll and bin files

It will completely restore your phone to the default factory settings, just how it was when you first bought it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I like to keep this new ROM

But I like to remove the root access (disable su stuff)

If I were you I'd keep cwm. If anything goes wrong with your phone like reboots or it doesn't boot anymore then your screwed with the stock recovery. But the only way to install the stock recovery anyways would be if you had a backup of it in the first place which you probably don't. So don't worry about cwm it won't make your phone insecure. :]

As for unrooting it... You should have SuperSU installed by default with Sleipnir. Open it and go to the Settings tab. Scroll down to the bottom and click on "Full Unroot" and that should be it. :]

Reactions: lphy
Upvote 0
Also, you don't want to get rid of CWM, for the reason HaTrEd360 listed above. You can create backups of all of the necessary partitions and restore them with ease if anything goes wrong - something the stock recovery can't do. Rooting by default does not make your phone insecure, as all apps have to ask for your permission to grant them root access by prompting you with a dialog box, which is easily undone, by your Superuser app of choice. What you do with the root capability and which root apps you download, is entirely up to you and any insecurities that end up being created have to do with what you have done. Potentially, depending on which root-permissions apps you do install, your phone will actually end up more secure :)

Also, you will need to keep CWM to stay up to date on Sleipnir as new updates roll out, or switching to any other ROM of your choice.

TL;DR: While it sounds like a good idea to get rid of CWM and root access at first, it really, well, isn't to your advantage long-term. But it's a good thought! :)

Reactions: lphy
Upvote 0
Root might not be so bad, but CWM is insecure. Any script-kiddie could use cwm to access any part of the filesystem to do with what they please, including bypassing any security on the phone. It'd be nice if there were at least a way to password protect the recovery, it's so easy to cause trouble with that kind of low-level system access. For that matter, even if you unroot your phone, it's easy for someone to flash the su binary back on in recovery.

Of course, all of this requires direct access to your phone to pose a threat. In that case anybody with a usb cable and adb could cause trouble... So really the only way to be truly secure is to have nothing you're unwilling to loose on a device that could easily be snatched from your hand as you walk down the street.

Upvote 0
So here's my problem, at some point while I was following this guide [FAQ-GUIDE] ClockWorkMod Optimus Elite, I screwed up. It might have been when I was trying to creat a nandroid backup and was deleting the cache, delveck and all that stuff. It failed to backup because there was no micro sd card or possibly not very much space on the internal memory. When I tried to reboot the phone, it got stuck in recovery mode. But I was able to save it with the QPST software provided on that same guide. I was able to get back to what I was doing, and used my other backup on another same phone and backed it up onto the internal memory. I was planning to use this a temporary fix. I flashed a rom onto the phone and was going to finish up. So I factory reset the phone. It got stuck between the LG logo and something that looks like CWM screen with the android alien. The two screens rotate back and forth. I can't get to recovery mode but I can get to the download screen, holding the vol up/down buttons. I tried Tjsanders method of unbricking your phone, its on the sticky, but it didn't work for me. It got stuck on the READY! screen. It has to do with, me not being sure where I can download the LG drivers for the phone or how to apply them. Also, I was confused about the ports even though I'm sure I got those right.

Can somebody help me please?? I rooted/flashed a rom onto my personal phone with no problem first try, beginners luck. I got my friend involved and its stuck in this loop.

Upvote 0
HI everyone, new to the forums, but have been lurking since I've had my OV. I had pooted my Elite already and want to flash Sleipnir, but I've been reading this thread for some time. Anyway's I went ahead and installed all the suggested roms, but still a little weary of actually doing the CWM install. I wanted to try Giantpune's noob installer, via Total Commander, but I wasnt sure if this was the correct step in order to do it or not. :thinking:

Upvote 0
HI everyone, new to the forums, but have been lurking since I've had my OV. I had pooted my Elite already and want to flash Sleipnir, but I've been reading this thread for some time. Anyway's I went ahead and installed all the suggested roms, but still a little weary of actually doing the CWM install. I wanted to try Giantpune's noob installer, via Total Commander, but I wasnt sure if this was the correct step in order to do it or not. :thinking:

The Noob installer will install cwm, all you have to do is install the Noob app, and run it, along with ministro II. See the OP. Make sure after the first boot into cwm, make a backup.

Reactions: Artine
Upvote 0
This thread is a year old does anyone know if there will ever be a cyanogen mod 7,9 or 10 release for the lg optimus elite?

Your point? :p This thread is still actively maintained on a regular basis when new updates are available - CyanogenMod 9 was recently added to the list of available ROMs as well. Also, CM7 and CM10 are being worked on. CM10 hasn't had as much development, IIRC, mostly because developing CM9 for the OE and then upgrading that to CM10 is easier than just doing CM10 from scratch.

As for the development progress on CM7, I have no idea, but CM9 is already out for the OE. It's about four or five threads down in the LG Optimus Elite - All Things Root board, and the thread for CM9 may be found by clicking here.

In the future, I find it a good idea to look around on the boards for the LG Optimus Elite for answers to your questions first and, if there are no threads that answer your questions, then I would ask ;)

and does anyone have a list of removable system apps like this old barebones page from the optimus v for the elite? Barebones - CyanogenMod

Not for CyanogenMod, no, but for any stock-based ROM, the thread may be found by clicking here.

Upvote 0
when i switched roms somehow my phone "upgraded" itself from cwmV5 to cwmV6... i can't figure out how to get back to v5.

i tried to just start from scratch using the one button thingy to install it but i kept on getting a "can't get root" error even though my phone is rooted and i double checked with root checker to make sure and in fact it was.

anyway. lost all my data in the switch from v5 to v6 because it's rendered my nandroid backups worthless...

somehow i can't restore using cwm anymore? everytime i try i can't a "can't restore" error message. either /data or /system depending on what i'm trying to do.

puts me in a bind as i've lost access to all my backups because of this.

help. thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones