• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Feeling Low!!

I've owned my HTC Hero for 4 days now and I absolutely adore it

However!!

I went to visit a group of friends last night (regular weekly meet up)

One owns an iphone 3g and another owns an HTC HD2.

My beautiful Hero got a right slating!! Size... Chin... Apps...

So I'm feeling a little down in the dumps today :(

Somebody cheer me up please :)

Interesting scenario. I looked at both of those phones before getting the Hero. Around here we don't have that many carriers or providers so some colleages and I compare our smartphone choices and discuss over coffee from time to time. When we put all three at the same table and ran through some common tasks such as browsing to web pages over 3g, speed of app download, battery life, etc - the Hero won hands down. While I agree that the iPhone looks like a nicer piece of kit and has more appeal from a raw hardware factor, I utterly hated its lack of flexibility. Everyone is at the mercy of Apple which is ok for the masses but frustrating for an application developer. Also, the cost is INSANE.

As for the HD2, first of all it doesn't have north american 3G frequencies so it got slaughtered on speed tests right away. Next, its a WinMo device which means that it struggles under the weight of its own OS. Again, I like the way the hardware looks but there was too much to sacrifice for that.

As for the Hero's looks, I stayed away from the G1 based on its hardware design. I found it too bulky, I'm not a fan of the physical keyboard, and I found it too bulky overall. With the hero, I can tolerate the chin and the new form factor really appeals to me while capturing the flexibility of android and the community spirit of an open OS. I certainly don't regret my choice!

Upvote 0
The HD2 owner (had it for 3 weeks) is still currently searching for a way to watch youtube videos (sorry, his method of searching involves asking me each week!!)

I liked the HD2 when I first saw it, the interface is very similar to the Android, but I think the open source bit is what attracted me to the Hero

I've only ever owned one WinMo device (MDA Vario with WinMo5) and felt very restricted by it, I like the windows OS on a laptop or PC, never used a mac and doubt I ever will!!!

Feeling a little happier now

Cheers Perihelion

Upvote 0
The HD2 owner is about as technically savvy as an amoeba!!! So I win on that one...

The iphone owner is well... an iphone owner!

I'm also not as sharp and quick witted... so they're just loud mouthed bullies in my opinion!!

The hero suits me, I love so they can shove it as far as I'm concerned!!

Lekky, we're practically neighbours, I live in St Helens and work on Trafford Park :)

Upvote 0
Allow me to ease your mind. WinMo still sucks, even if the HD2 is a nice device technically, it's a joke. The iPhone is still nothing more than a cult media player masquerading as a phone with poor service.

Don't let your friends' bragging about their phones get you down. If you used each one for a few weeks, you'd see why Android is still the best choice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones