• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

few questions about apps, etc

Hello
How do I set chrome as my default browser?
Also is there an app:
- email client compatible with Gmail and ymail?
- monthly calendar widget compatible with gmail?
Thanks!

Hello reader. First let's get this post/thread of yours out of The Lounge and over to the Android Lounge...*bink* ...there, done. :D

There is a setting in Chrome "make Chrome your default browser," in the menu..you'll have to look around in there as I use Boat but do remember that setting in Chrome.

I'm not sure what you mean by "email client compatible with Gmail and (Yahoo's mail) ymail...calendar, etc" They both provide their own apps. Do you want to use one email app/widget which will collect incoming and allow sent mails and have calendar functionality from those two email providers?

Upvote 0
How do I set chrome as my default browser?

I will assume that you have a default browser other than Chrome. If this is the case, you will need to unset the other browser as a default. To do this, you will need to go to the Apps Manager on your phone. You did not specify which phone you use. I have an SGS3 and yours may be a little different in how to get to the Apps manager. For me, I can press the <Menu> key from my home screen and then press the Application Manager. Find the browser that is your current default and select it. There should be a button in that settings screen call <Clear defaults>. Tap on it to not make it a default app anymore.

When you have no browser as a default, just go to some app that has a URL that normally would launch a browser. Tap on it. You will be presented with a list of browsers to open. In that list, you will have the option of setting that browser as your default. Select Chrome and from then on, Chrome will be the default browser. You may find that there may be other instances in other apps where you have to again select Chrome and then set it as the default browser. Sometimes, there are more than one type of action from more than one app that launches the browser. You may have to set the default for each of these different types of actions. Once you do for one type of action, that same type of action that launch a browser will launch that default browser. The reason you may have to set the default action to Chrome in multiple places is that some actions may be done with an app other than a browser as well with a browser. These actions are considered different actions and you will need to set the default for such actions individually.

- monthly calendar widget compatible with gmail?

I use Android Pro Widgets. There are also a variety of other calendar widgets that you can find in the Play Store.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones