• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Finally, Eris has a home.

I'm happy to see that my future phone has its own spot in the forum now. I just wish there were some vids to place in here. I went to Sprint to check out the Hero, since it's supposedly the same phone and loved it except I had a hard time typing on it. I'm hoping I can get better and more comfortable on it in time. Did anyone else have a hard time w the Hero keyboard?
Typing aside, I found the os to be awesome and refreshing compared to the BBos I came from. Looking forward to Eris!:D

I had the Sprint Hero and the keyboard was almost as good as my iPhone keyboard and that's saying a lot. It's really good and a pleasure to use, my only complaint was that it was laggy. I haven't heard of any complaints on this issue other than from the Sprint camp so maybe it's Sprint software. Once I turned off text prediction/auto-correction it smoothed out and was lag free. I like the predictive text so that was a shame.
I'm really hoping that this phone performs better than Sprints, but I can't be to hopeful it is the same hardware. My biggest hope is that the lack of carrier software/modification it'll respond better. With that being said I still plan on pursuing my Droid pre-order at Best Buy.

Upvote 0
Hi Dave.helm ,

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Upgrades to the Next Android OS can not be bought and does not cost anything to Update. You and others will simply get the update delivered to your Phone when it is ready & available which their is currently no time line available as to when the 2.0 update will be rolled out for your handset :)

Carl C

Upvote 0
Hi Dave.helm ,

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Upgrades to the Next Android OS can not be bought and does not cost anything to Update. You and others will simply get the update delivered to your Phone when it is ready & available which their is currently no time line available as to when the 2.0 update will be rolled out for your handset :)

Carl C

Got you! Thanks for that. I do appreciate the Eris style so much better than the square Motorola. Do you or others beleive the purchase would be worth it even though it is operating on 1.5?

Again, thanks

Dave

Upvote 0
What is your reasons for going with the HTC Eris instead of the Droid? I am still trying to decide. I keep pull up screens side by side and comparing. I am coming from a Blackberry Storm 2 so the little extra weight the Droid has does not scare me. Thanks in advance for your responses.:eek:

It's purely a matter of Personal preference but I would choose the Droid as the reviews are quite good , It's got android 2.0 {

Upvote 0
Thanx for the link, Dave. That was a promising read...no doubt. I'm definitely getting the Eris and can't wait for my delivery! I was on the fence between the Eris and Storm2. This is why I chose Eris.
1. All around better O.S.
2. Much better looking device. ( IMO )
3. Endless options w rooting, apps and 8 home pages.
4. Pinch zoom.
5. Last and def not least...it has FLASH!!! BB has always neglected that point.

All of those pros def outweigh the one hurdle I found w the Hero....typing. I can always get better at typing but can never add all those features to a BB. ;)

Hope these reasons help, BD.

Upvote 0
What is your reasons for going with the HTC Eris instead of the Droid? I am still trying to decide. I keep pull up screens side by side and comparing. I am coming from a Blackberry Storm 2 so the little extra weight the Droid has does not scare me. Thanks in advance for your responses.:eek:

I am not a fan of the boxy look I guess. It is smoother and still gets the job done for my data needs!
Really that's it and the os is going to be fine. Also, the price. That is a big factor. I don't need the newest every time it comes out just one that works and if th elooks are there, so be it!

D

EDIT: AND what droidnut said...LOL OH, and the FLASH, so I can FarmVille now (geek I am)

Upvote 0
I'm choosing the Eris mostly because of the form factor. It has a much slicker look and it will be easier to put on a case to protect it without it becoming overly bulky. It has the older 1.5 OS but it has a better camera (even without the dual LED flash) and the OS doesn't seem as laggy as the Droid's even with it's hardware shortcomings. Besides the 2.0 build should be out within the next couple of months for the Eris anyway. The fact that it's $100 cheaper is just icing on the cake. I'm picking up mine first thing in the morning!

Upvote 0
i keep going back and forth between the droid and the eris. i like the droid because of the 2.0, the flash with the camera, the free gps, and the option of a physical keyboard (even though reviews on it say its not great at all). but i like the eris because it looks heads and shoulders better than the droid (i agree the boxy-look reminds me of an old phone), still works well/fast despite 1.5, is $100 cheaper, and doesn't look all bulky (like the droid does when the phone is slid open).

any other important differences between the 2 phones that you guys have found online that i missed?

overall, i'm just excited about an upgrade cellphone-wise. this will be my first smartphone and my first android phone. believe it or not, i've had my moto krzr for about 5 yrs now! time to get caught up with the times :cool:

Upvote 0
I have been using the Sprint Hero for about a week now. Unfortunately the signal quality is not good at all in my home. So I will be going to Verizon. I have the choice between the Eris/Hero or the Droid. Read all the reviews on Droid and from the consensus its a great phone. It has the better hardware and Android 2.0. With that said I will still stick to the Eris. Seriously this phone with its Sense UI is so much fun. That along with all the available apps makes it a must have. Its not without its flaws though..battery issues/some lag/sometimes not as responsive. Anyways I dont think anyone will regret getting this over the droid.

Upvote 0
Hello android fans. And thanks Rob for hosting this forum.
First time here and loving the fact that there are so many android fans to chat with!
I have a comment and a question.
Comment: have you noticed how everyone is saying what a great deal the Eris is compared to Sprint's Hero, but don't mention that the savings will be eaten up in a couple of months because Verizon's rates are so high!
I compared today and Verizon is $90 vs. Sprint's $60.
Question: Love the look & features of the Eris :p but have 1 concern :thinking:.
I heard somewhere that even with the 2.0 upgrade, this phone wouldn't support Google Navigation. I don't remember if it was because of the screen or processor, or what. Does anyone know about this?
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
ssgmun32, wish i could remember where. i know it was a forum (someone's opinion). i'll see if i can get an answer from htc and post it here if i do. thanks.

yes, the idea that some APPS on the Eris would not work would be concerning to me. As long as this is the case and they are available when the 2.0 came out, will determine if I buy the Eris.
I have until January when my renewal comes up.
I will sit back and monitor the progress.

Also, the new website with upgraded info is nice. A better look at the phone

D

Upvote 0
Hello android fans. And thanks Rob for hosting this forum.
First time here and loving the fact that there are so many android fans to chat with!
I have a comment and a question.
Comment: have you noticed how everyone is saying what a great deal the Eris is compared to Sprint's Hero, but don't mention that the savings will be eaten up in a couple of months because Verizon's rates are so high!
I compared today and Verizon is $90 vs. Sprint's $60.
Question: Love the look & features of the Eris :p but have 1 concern :thinking:.
I heard somewhere that even with the 2.0 upgrade, this phone wouldn't support Google Navigation. I don't remember if it was because of the screen or processor, or what. Does anyone know about this?
Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I spoke to a Verizon Wireless Rep in the Naples, FL Pine Ridge store about the Eris not having the ability to use Google Voice Navigation and he confirmed this. He said that the Eris does not have the "chip set" for this application. So, Google Navigation should work but Google Voice Navigation will not. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones