• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Fingerprint without alternative password?

shelleywa

Lurker
Sep 22, 2014
Hi all,

I have seen a lot of threads from people forgetting their alternative password but none for my problem. I want to set up the fingerprint scanner to unlock my phone but I DON'T want to have an alternative password. It just seems silly to have a maximum security feature like a fingerprint scanner and then be forced to dumb it down by allowing access via a password anyway. Is there a way to do this, does anyone know please?

Thank you!

The short answer is NO, you cannot do that period.

If you want to use the Fingerprint method, you are required to setup a backup password. This is a good idea anyway because you just might need to sign onto Google's website to reset the phone to get into it.

It's always a good idea to have some backup and not just rely on biometrics.
th

Could be incapacitated in some way and lose your fingerprint, like hand is in plaster, amputated digits, burned, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks all!

Yes, I know it's handy (no pun intended!) to have but just seems silly to make something high security and then be forced to have a medium security alternative. Oh well. I have just generated a completely random and hidden it somewhere same in case of emergency :)

Thanks for all your replies.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones