• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Firmware update by Kies - phone rooted and changed

zygd

Oct 19, 2012
Hello. Kies found a firmware update for my phone lately. My device is rooted (which is no big deal) but it's content has been changed - many stock bloatware apps has been removed. I removed "Samsung Apps" even, because it stopped working correctly - it demands some update (samsung push service) but after updated it demands it again.
I can unroot device easily, but there is no way to return all bloatware and meaningless application which I removed.
My phone has been oficially update one year ago - sth calling OTA I think. The update has been found by phone itself (without Kies). I don't know it was firmware or Android update. Update return phone state to factory settings and solved issue with memory card.
Is it safe to apply Kies firmware update for my phone considering the phone state?
Stock operator: T-Mobile, Android Gingerbread 2.3.6.

EDIT: The current situation forced me to do factory reset regardless if it is safe or unsafe to rooted and no bloatware software phone. I tried to remove primary account without wipeing data (removing accounts.db and sync folder content from /data/system). At first it seamed that worked, I could create new primary account but later I have found out that google play no longer works - it denied logging to existed or creating new account. I tried the workaround to log in first in youtube application but the results were the same. So i tried to revert old accounts.db files and it made my phone working in endless booting loop. So the factory reset was my last hope.

Phone has returned to fresh and working state without any bloatware soft on it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones