• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root First attempt at rooting

I still find this "media scanner" fishy. Every time I reboot it scans, and anytime I delete an app it does also. Again, I checked all the files super one click installs, and checked the directory on the phone. ALL of the files that super one click installs is on my phone, in all the right spots. Yet i'm not rooted? Its wierd. I even did a fresh factory reset, and the files are still there. Which makes me think, either a factory wipe doesn't wipe the phone system files, OR the phone has dummy root files to prevent rooting. All in all this is making it all the more difficult. I posted everywhere for help, with no luck. I even asked the "unlockr" to try it, and the maker of super one click. So far no responses.

Still blows my mind on airplane mode with wifi on can last me nearly 2 days of usage, yet in LTE mode it kills my battery in like 1 hour. With power management maybe 2-3 hours (non stop web usage on LTE that is). I installed Linda File Manager, because my root explorer won't load up and just crashes. Linda File manager also views all the processes running, and I found some pretty interesting ones.... I also debated about trying to take out the LTE sim looking card (called IMEI or some crap) and then trying to root my phone. But for a fact removing that card voids your warranty.

Most people don't know that rooting voids your warranty, but removing that card is way more obvious. So not gonna take that risk lol.

Upvote 0
The more, im looking at this phone, the more risk it seems to be of bricking the phone.

We are able to invoke booting into recovery via app sending command to the phone. However samsung seems to have disabled both recovery and download modes via boothing with the 3 key combinations. So, if we were to flash something and it didnt work, there is not really any way of getting the phone to boot up into recovery to fix it.

Upvote 0
Yeah there is. I have to double check the instructions, but i think its R key + pwr button. But yeah your right, if the keyboard is non functional were screwed. I'll double check what the actually button combo is since it differs from all the other "galaxy" samsung phones. Oh or you could try what I do and use this:

http://theunlockr.com/down/Captivate One Click Root.zip
or
http://theunlockr.com/down/Vibrant One Click Root.zip

I accidentally stumbled across this. If you use it to "root" our phones, it'll automatically through the program, put out phone into custom recovery :D. Just put the phone into debug, and plug in the usb, and run the program. Its really odd that it works, but i'm not complaining.

Reactions: Androidpimp
Upvote 0
Yeah there is. I have to double check the instructions, but i think its R key + pwr button. But yeah your right, if the keyboard is non functional were screwed. I'll double check what the actually button combo is since it differs from all the other "galaxy" samsung phones. Oh or you could try what I do and use this:

http://theunlockr.com/down/Captivate One Click Root.zip
or
http://theunlockr.com/down/Vibrant One Click Root.zip

I accidentally stumbled across this. If you use it to "root" our phones, it'll automatically through the program, put out phone into custom recovery :D. Just put the phone into debug, and plug in the usb, and run the program. Its really odd that it works, but i'm not complaining.

Silvist: are you saying that you succeeded rooting indulge with one of the above? if so, which? captivate or vibrant? or does it even matter? Thanks.

Upvote 0
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S with Android 2.2.1 Froyo

what about this, i just dont know what package to pick if any...maybe we can create one

the phone doesnt boot into recover/download mode like the galaxy s by holding a button combination.

So, if that method is tried and fails, how would you try and boot into something to fix it?

and we dont have a stock image to even go back to stock once you flash to something else.

Upvote 0
I figured out the button combination to boot into recovery, posted a new thread for it.

Now we just need a working kernal that would let us boot into recovery and make a backup. No so sure I want to be the one experimenting with that and bricking my phone.

We need someone that can compile a new kernal from the posted source code with something like clockwork inside for a sure thing. Just using one from another phone model would be hit and miss(not sure if it would work or not).

Upvote 0
So what I was saying in another post was, that when I toyed with my LG optimus with custom roms, I accidentally flashed the rom of the LG optimus S. The results wasn't a bricked phone, but the phone was in a state of confusion because of the different service and the different key layout. I'm gonna say the captivate or the vibrant will probably work, the problem is "will the service still work", and I will say no to that lol. So the phone won't be a complete brick, but it'll be half a brick.

Yeah we need someone to do kernel shit, and I don't know anyone who's willing to except that guy on Xda who wants to "borrow" one of our phones to crack it. I'm not so sure about that lol. Don't really care how exteemed he is, I can't obviously just "give" him my phone mainly cause i'd be without a phone. Plus was even reading its still possible he'll brick it, so **** that lol.

Upvote 0
So what I was saying in another post was, that when I toyed with my LG optimus with custom roms, I accidentally flashed the rom of the LG optimus S. The results wasn't a bricked phone, but the phone was in a state of confusion because of the different service and the different key layout. I'm gonna say the captivate or the vibrant will probably work, the problem is "will the service still work", and I will say no to that lol. So the phone won't be a complete brick, but it'll be half a brick.

Yeah we need someone to do kernel shit, and I don't know anyone who's willing to except that guy on Xda who wants to "borrow" one of our phones to crack it. I'm not so sure about that lol. Don't really care how exteemed he is, I can't obviously just "give" him my phone mainly cause i'd be without a phone. Plus was even reading its still possible he'll brick it, so **** that lol.
find out who he is, i could probably order a fru unit and send it to him as long as i can get it back

Upvote 0
Oh that's easy:

From this post:

Samsung Galaxy Indulge 4G nand lock - Page 3 - xda-developers

Hey guys. I've been trying all sorts of different things on this phone. RHCP the who hacked the Galaxy S has offered to help for a small fee, maybe if we as a group were willing to donate a bit he'd be compelled to put it up for everyone. That is of course if we cant figure it out ourselves. Also if were gonna have hopes of getting Clockworkmod and rom manager working someone gonna have to send Koush their phone for a week or so. I have heard Koush is trustworthy, RHCP as well for that matter. On my end im by no means a hacker so i have'nt acheived much. First night i messed with it i got clockwork recovery on to my phone and bricked my recovery mode or so i thought, not sure about that one. I ended up finding a recovery 3e to reinstall and was capable of booting into recovery again, at first i did'nt think this recovery was working either (only power button worked to scroll down), but as it turned out i was only pressing the obvious keys. After going through the keyboard keys one by one N was the enter key for recovery. I did'nt ever test these button functions in the clockwork recovery so i have no idea whether clockwork was really froze on me or i was just pressing all the wrong button to meneuver in the menu. I've had limited success in all sorts of issues, but commonly fall into the not rooted issues. Some stuff thinks im rooted others dont. This must have to do with the nand lock. And i have a sneaking suspicion that any worth while rooting is going to have be installed using a recovery method or perhaps adb. I'll try to post again soon as im still heavy into discovery. Also i can install after market apps fine as well as USB tether without any issue. Also to have proper access to the device with adb your gonna need find the right samsung drivers to install.

Probably the same drivers as you they came in a group of like 20 directory's. We probably need to make a bounty thread for a nand unlock or a custom rom, one of those two. I have a feeling it would'nt be hard to stick a whole new rom on here, but im not really one to know. Koush is the lead on clockworkmod recovery, and to we really need a good recovery to play with this stuff, but he'd need a phone to get it going. He accepts other peoples phone and creates a usable image from them and send em back. Most of the time all goes off and the people get their phone back working and clockworked, if not you might get a bricked phone back. as far as i know koush can be found through his site and such or through IRC at freenet channel #koush . And RHCP who has personally offered to assist me for a fee can be found on efnet #android . From what i've seen of the standard recovery, its gonna have to go the moment you start hacking this thing. It does'nt accept update.zips , but if you **** up the recovery your in hot water. You can get it stuck in boot loops. So i would'nt play with anything. Leave it to bigger fish.

Apparently his name is Koush. I think he was the guy who first hacked the samsung galaxy. You should be able to find him on those forums.

Upvote 0
Oh that's easy:

From this post:

Samsung Galaxy Indulge 4G nand lock - Page 3 - xda-developers

Hey guys. I've been trying all sorts of different things on this phone. RHCP the who hacked the Galaxy S has offered to help for a small fee, maybe if we as a group were willing to donate a bit he'd be compelled to put it up for everyone. That is of course if we cant figure it out ourselves. Also if were gonna have hopes of getting Clockworkmod and rom manager working someone gonna have to send Koush their phone for a week or so. I have heard Koush is trustworthy, RHCP as well for that matter. On my end im by no means a hacker so i have'nt acheived much. First night i messed with it i got clockwork recovery on to my phone and bricked my recovery mode or so i thought, not sure about that one. I ended up finding a recovery 3e to reinstall and was capable of booting into recovery again, at first i did'nt think this recovery was working either (only power button worked to scroll down), but as it turned out i was only pressing the obvious keys. After going through the keyboard keys one by one N was the enter key for recovery. I did'nt ever test these button functions in the clockwork recovery so i have no idea whether clockwork was really froze on me or i was just pressing all the wrong button to meneuver in the menu. I've had limited success in all sorts of issues, but commonly fall into the not rooted issues. Some stuff thinks im rooted others dont. This must have to do with the nand lock. And i have a sneaking suspicion that any worth while rooting is going to have be installed using a recovery method or perhaps adb. I'll try to post again soon as im still heavy into discovery. Also i can install after market apps fine as well as USB tether without any issue. Also to have proper access to the device with adb your gonna need find the right samsung drivers to install.

Probably the same drivers as you they came in a group of like 20 directory's. We probably need to make a bounty thread for a nand unlock or a custom rom, one of those two. I have a feeling it would'nt be hard to stick a whole new rom on here, but im not really one to know. Koush is the lead on clockworkmod recovery, and to we really need a good recovery to play with this stuff, but he'd need a phone to get it going. He accepts other peoples phone and creates a usable image from them and send em back. Most of the time all goes off and the people get their phone back working and clockworked, if not you might get a bricked phone back. as far as i know koush can be found through his site and such or through IRC at freenet channel #koush . And RHCP who has personally offered to assist me for a fee can be found on efnet #android . From what i've seen of the standard recovery, its gonna have to go the moment you start hacking this thing. It does'nt accept update.zips , but if you **** up the recovery your in hot water. You can get it stuck in boot loops. So i would'nt play with anything. Leave it to bigger fish.

Apparently his name is Koush. I think he was the guy who first hacked the samsung galaxy. You should be able to find him on those forums.
i sent him a PM on xda about sending an indulge to him, well see what he says

Upvote 0
theres a guy locally thats says he has rooted two of them and removed touch wiz...i have an appt with him on monday...hes says its not one click so im assuming hes using odin or adb

see what method he uses so you can tell us.

Also, I sort of like touch wiz but we already could get rid of it if we wanted by adding a line or two to my bloatwareremover script.

Other launchers can also be installed without the need to remove touchwiz. Like Launcher Pro.

Man, make sure you watch what this guy does. What apps he uses to root it.

Upvote 0
see what method he uses so you can tell us.

Also, I sort of like touch wiz but we already could get rid of it if we wanted by adding a line or two to my bloatwareremover script.

Other launchers can also be installed without the need to remove touchwiz. Like Launcher Pro.

Man, make sure you watch what this guy does. What apps he uses to root it.
oh i will, i kind of want him to just show me

ps i like touch wiz tooo

Upvote 0
I tried yet another attempt at root. I seriously hate when the phone hates an app, and makes that horrible vibration sound. The first time I thought my phone fried lol. I just tried this method:

Universal Android Rooting Procedure (Rage Method) | TheUnlockr

I was able to get lvl 1, but when I went to try and modify su or whatever it crashed. The only thing I noticed is this:

LOL what the hell the unlockr has there page encrypted, how annoying. I'll try to type this out, meh....

It talks about /dev/block/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX /system YYYY

and YYYY is supposed to be yaffs2,ext2,ext3

To see this your supposed to do

cat /proc/mounts

Yet when I looked through it, I saw something totally different. Was like UTL3 or something like that. I have a weird feeling that maybe that's why we can't mount or unmount properly. No idea on this just fetching.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones