First impressions tab owners??

Last Updated:

1. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i'm most likely not getting a galaxy tab due to the high price but i'm interested in reading reviews from real owners in case the wifi only versions comes out next year and it has a more affordable price tag.

Advertisement
  2. dsb9938

dsb9938 Well-Known Member Developer

I've only had it a few hours, but I love it.

Corrected the small screen apps not using the whole screen.
    Rooted.
    SetCPU.
    RootExplorer.

About to do Titanium shortly.

I do have some questions, but I will ask those outside of this thread.

3. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

I do not own the Galaxy Tab, but got to play with one at Verizon for about a 1/2 hour. My main concern was if a 7" tablet will be too small. It is not, I just LOVE the size!! The screen is fantastic! The operation is smooth. The keyboard is real good. The Galaxy Tab feels great in the hand.

The display model I played with had access to the Internet, so I tried a lot of sites. Everything work fine, flash worked fine. The Galaxy Tab is a nice tablet.

I may have discovered a problem with getting Android tables from Verizon. The display model did not have the Android Market, did not have the Media Hub, and did not have the Reader's Hub. It did have the VCast Store, VCast Music, and VCast Navigation. If Verizon will do this to all its Android tables, I will not be buying my tablet from Verizon!

The only reason I'm not getting the Galaxy Tab from any carrier is because I know what is coming.

4. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oops I created this thread before they merged all the other ones in, didn't know there was already an identical thread....sorry

5. dsb9938

dsb9938 Well-Known Member Developer

The one I bought has everything, they may have disabled them on the demos.

slbailey1 likes this.
  6. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's good to know!! It is going to be hard waiting until April to buy a tablet.

7. AndroidTabletFan

AndroidTabletFan Well-Known Member

I picked mine up from tmobile yesterday.

I love it, love it, love it.

I was prepared to keep the Streak, but the experience on this is just too good! I was afraid that 7 inches would be too big, but it feels good in the hand. Swpe takes a bit of getting used to though.

8. mach330

mach330 Well-Known Member

you can root the tab already? also..has anyone tried wifi tether with their droid phone and use wifi mode on tab? i heard you can't? please tell me it's possible.

9. Afront

Afront Well-Known Member

KUDOS 555 likes this.
  10. jasonaward

jasonaward Member

First things first, I also have an iPad, so I look at it from that standpoint.

I bought the Tab from T-Mo on Wednesday, and LOVE it. My only complaint was that the stock browser was quite a bit laggy with scroll, zoom, etc. for larger sites. I've been using Dolphin HD, and it is quite a bit more optimized. Oh, the only other (minor) complaint is that it picks up fingerprints like crazy. However, the screen size is fantastic, the weight feels appropriate, battery life is good and it's fairly close to being stock Android so very customizable. This is compared to the iPad, that I feel is a little large, quite a bit heavier, and very closed.

Just my 2 cents.

11. Afront

Afront Well-Known Member

Agreed - Dolphin runs much more smoothly than the stock browser, despite its apparent customisation for the Tab. Opera Mobile is supposedly good for the Tab too but I've not tried that since the (imo poor) beta a few months back.

I love Swype on my HTC Desire, but it doesn't really work so well on the larger Galaxy Tab. SwiftKey on the Tab is excellent though, recommended!

12. jasonaward

jasonaward Member

I tired Opera Mobile for a bit. It felt slightly more laggy than Dolphin.

I still have Swype enabled, but don't find myself using it that much, just pecking out keys. I'm use Swype on my Evo though, so to confuse my brain the least, I may keep it. :)

13. sinbarambam

sinbarambam New Member

I did not buy the Ipad because I want an open system. I therefore jumped on the Galaxy. Have had it for a week now and am in love with it. I'm like a kid in a candy store - first time in years that I'm so excited about a new gadget. The size is perfect for me - my Streak is too small to read on, an Ipad would be too large to carry around to work. I love being able to hold it in one hand, and I love Froyo. I have a few small niggles but on the whole it's superb. Couldn't be happier.

14. Tech Addiction

Tech Addiction Well-Known Member

No complaints at all. Now that I have Sky Fire, everything is perfect. With WSJ coming on board right out the gate, other developers should be jumping on board as well. Can't wait for some more Tab optimized Apps.

15. AndroidTabletFan

AndroidTabletFan Well-Known Member

Well I'm still not sure. I can do what I want to on the Streak or the Galaxy
    But typing and surfing web sites is still faster and easier on the Streak.

So I'm of two minds over which one to keep...

16. jrmuller

jrmuller Member

Got mine from VZW yesterday, I'm a Droid X user already so the transition was easy, here's the simple answer I own an iPad as well, and it's not an iPad.

It's so much more - front facing camera, wifi tethering, open source apps, navigation, phone calls via Skype, you name it. I love my iPad, but there is a growing list of things it just cannot do, extremely happy with the Tab so far.

The iPad might be seeing craigslist soon.. we'll see.

Tech Addiction likes this.
  17. gigadigit

gigadigit Well-Known Member

I bought mine from TMobile. I am very happy with the Galaxy Tab.
    I have an Ipad also, but I find it to be too heavy when using it in one hand.

I also returned the Viewsonic Gtab for the same reason, and will be returning the Curz tablet b/c it's very slow.

18. Tech Addiction

Tech Addiction Well-Known Member

Testing all the waters are we?

19. KUDOS 555

KUDOS 555 Well-Known Member

Afront likes this.
  20. frenzy757

frenzy757 Well-Known Member

I also had an Ipad and sold it to get the Tab.

The tab is a much better form factor to me.

The Ipad screen is larger but when I played movies on it the actual size of the movie was not that much larger than the tab cause of the screen ratio. Combine that with the fact that the tab is much better for e-reading, and I can carry it around without looking like a dork, it was a selling point for me.

Price wasn't a huge issue for me. I am more happy with the tab than I ever was with the Ipad...although Netflix and the MLB.tv app are amazing on it...I can only hope the tab gets that kind of support.

For now, I'll resort to southpark studios and loading my own movies on it.

21. frenzy757

frenzy757 Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention....get rid of the stock browser if you get it. It sucks and almost made me return it.

Dolphin HD is perfect for the tab. I don't like it on my droid 2, but on the tab its perfect. Perfectly smooth. The stock browser was AWFUL.

22. AndroidAlien

AndroidAlien Member

I got mine yesterday but think it may be too tech for me. Being used to an iphone 3gs for such a long time iv been spoilt with the ease if use, with this im stuck on the basics.
    Id like to add that it is very good but seem somewhat overwhelmed

23. ron1122

ron1122 Member

having a tab for almost 5 days and really enjoying it!