• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashed to Cricket if i root..

Stix200

Lurker
Oct 24, 2013
Hi everyone!

I just came back from flashing the phone over to cricket and i have not activated it just yet i was trying to turn on the wifi but im guessing sprint has a lock on it that will not let it turn on keeps going to error.

I read somewhere that rooting it will allow me to use the wifi on it before i can actually activate it with cricket. ( been working alot by the time i get off of work the stores are usually closed) Im worried that if i root it right now as it says it will wipe everything if it will affect my flash to cricket considering i paid 50$ for the flash i wouldnt want to do that.

Any info on it would be much appreciated

:hmmmm: odd indeed.
So its not an issue of trying to connect to a router, its a matter of it just turning on yes?

I haven't done research about what you stated with the need to root to use wifi on cricket, but rooting should not interfere with the flash. I would say that I am 96.76% sure of that. :)

If you strictly want to root to see if the wifi issue is resolved, you can follow this method:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
no i tried connecting to wifi at starbucks and mcdonalds and my home and still jsut get the error. Im sure it has something to do with the phone. I have read that sprint among others put a lock on it if theres no data plan and the phone isnt active the wifi will not work. Some said that rooting it will bypass the block they have set up for it.

Upvote 0
no i tried connecting to wifi at starbucks and mcdonalds and my home and still jsut get the error. Im sure it has something to do with the phone. I have read that sprint among others put a lock on it if theres no data plan and the phone isnt active the wifi will not work. Some said that rooting it will bypass the block they have set up for it.

well the part about sprint locking wifi is wrong......i still have my og evo and it is not activated, but i can still use it as tablet sort of speak. it can connect to wifi, so i can surf the net, do emails, and stream music and movies.

so my guess then it has something to do with your flash. whoever did it messed with something.

i'm not too familiar with cricket flashing or flashing to other networks in general, but i thought the phone needs to be rooted.

to verify lets get into the bootloader:
  • power the phone off
  • press and hold the power button plus vol down
  • this should take you to the bootloader screen
  • does it say s-on or s-off?
  • does it say locked or unlocked?
  • report back everything you see on the screen.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Ill put it in just as i see it.

***LOCKED (OOW)***
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.18.0001
MICROP-041F
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.12.19
Dec 21 2011, 12:50:32

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous item
<Vol Down> to next item
<Power> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones