• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

flashing a kyocera hydro for non cell phone use?

Ok so heres what im trying to do.. I am a backwoods explorer, and I tow a trailer.. what I want to do, is basically try something out with what I have lying around, and that is 2 boost mobile kyoceras, that I can make one good phone out of two. I could care less about using them to surf the internet, talk or text. The phone would be loaded with 2 apps, either us topo maps or backwoods navigator, and torque (car scanner app) and strapped to the dash of my car to keep track of my car, and where I am.

so ideally, the idea would be to wipe the phone, and install a tablet os, and use wifi only for updates, and downloading maps etc. So oh wise techies.. is this possible? basically I don't want to plunk down $100-$200 just to find out my idea sucks, so that being said, I know its an older phone, with a small screen and limited processing power. but it will at least let me try it out, to see if its worth throwing some money at...

the idea would be to remove any unneeded software, and only keep what was needed to be a gps and use torque, basically keep any extra programs from tieing up processing power, memory etc etc.. I'm new to android, so just trying to figure out what can be done, and what cant... comming from the pc world, pretty much anything is possible, just need to set the right settings, just seems odd to me that the hardware would be that specific.. but im learning...

Upvote 0
so plan of attack with my newly gained information, I think what ill do is root it, and remove the bloatware.. just keep the bare essentials for operating, plus I suppose it will be handy to have phone connectivity, if ever there is an emergency I can still call 911.. so i guess that's a bonus.. I've got it as a wifi only device now, and its working pretty well.. We shall see how the rooting goes...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones