• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Flight mode not working - still getting Messages

Hi, i am not sure if this issue is device specific or software specific. I have a Sony Xperia XZs with Oreo which works nicely for almost everything. I was sad to see the old Sony messaging app go, and be replaced by Google's "messages", which works okay but not as well as the one from Sony.
Anyway, I always set my phone in Flight mode at night, to be undisturbed by calls or notifications, but there is a weird thing: Text messages don't come through, but other media messages such as when someone sends photos, do get through and cause a notification which is very disturbing. I tried turning on both flight mode and "do not disturb" but there is still a silent notification with a flashing light when the media message arrives. This is freaking me out. Does flight mode not work?? I always hav Wifi and 4G data turned off when I don't use them, so that shouldn't be causing any troubles either. I always thought that flight mode was supposed to really turn off all hardware connectivity, but it seems it is only turning off notifications (except media notifications apparently). This is really freakish.
Anyone any ideas?

I orignially posted this question in a device sub-forum but as it will probably go unnoticed there I decided to post under the more general forum. Now I noticed that I posted in the "lounge". Huh? Well, I hope to get help anyway...

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones