• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FM radio uses data?

Ok this may sound like a dumb question, but why would the FM radio use data? Is it not simply picking up FM signals from the built-in tuner? I would expect data to be used if streaming Pandora but not when using the FM tuner.

I had the tuner on for 4 hours this morning and racked up 198MB of data usage.

I'm still on unlimited data, but still..

Odd thing is, looking at the Usage indicator doesn't show the FM tuner in the list of programs.

Ok this may sound like a dumb question, but why would the FM radio use data? Is it not simply picking up FM signals from the built-in tuner? I would expect data to be used if streaming Pandora but not when using the FM tuner.

I had the tuner on for 4 hours this morning and racked up 198MB of data usage.

I'm still on unlimited data, but still..

Odd thing is, looking at the Usage indicator doesn't show the FM tuner in the list of programs.

My thought is that if the FM tuner was not on the list of data usage programs, then the data drawn during the time the radio was in use was from something else, likely an app/service which Google uses to compile favorites, etc. So, indirectly the radio caused data usage, but did not actually stream data itself.

Perhaps there's a setting somewhere in your HTC menus. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones