• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Folding Case with magnet sleep/wake?

RzB

Apr 2, 2014
UK
I have just upgraded to an LG G4 from a Nexus 5.

Both phones have a folding leather case. The Nexus 5 wakes/sleeps when the case is opened/closed but the G4 does not seem to have this facility. Is this a function of the phone or have I just purchased the wrong acse?

Thanks,
Roy

OK - I have found out the answer from LG Support...

Evidently the LG case has something embedded in it that does this function.

So - non LG cases will not have this function - until someone cracks it that is:)

We shall see.

However - the LG version has a blooming great hole in the front protective cover so you can see the time through it. I have a watch.

Surely the whole reason for buying a case like this is protection - what's the point if it's got a hole in the protecting cover that keys and coins in your pocket can get at the screen. Yes/no?

Roy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your response..

Hmmm - I have just been to the Play Store and searched for Quick Circle... I get offered "Quick Circle Apps" by Yoav Stemberg and "Quick Circle PuppyPOP" by LG Electronics G3.

No "Quick Circle" for the G4... Is this because I'm in the UK? Will the G3 PuppPOP version do what's needed?

Thanks,
Roy

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response..

Hmmm - I have just been to the Play Store and searched for Quick Circle... I get offered "Quick Circle Apps" by Yoav Stemberg and "Quick Circle PuppyPOP" by LG Electronics G3.

No "Quick Circle" for the G4... Is this because I'm in the UK? Will the G3 PuppPOP version do what's needed?

Thanks,
Roy
The one you mention is the one I have. Also did you activate Quick Circle in the settings?

Upvote 0
OK - I have installed Quick Circle by Yoav Sternberg and selected Clock. Quick Circle is activated in the settings.

Now what?

If I shut the case - nothing happens.

Roy
Did you turn on the
OK - I have installed Quick Circle by Yoav Sternberg and selected Clock. Quick Circle is activated in the settings.

Now what?

If I shut the case - nothing happens.

Roy
I'm not sure. Don't have my case yet. What I am sure of is that you don't need the expensive case to make this work. My husband has G3 and has always used the Quick Circle feature. I've purchased the different cases, never had to buy the expensive one to have it work. Perhaps contact the app creator. That would be my next step.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the G3 and G4 are the same? You would think so wouldn't you.

Exactly what case are you getting? When you have it please let me know if it works properly.

I really am not worried about the cost - if only I could get the product that I want! A folding case, without a bloomin great hole in the front, that sleep/wakes the phone on close/open. Is that really too much to ask!!! :)

Perhaps I will contact Yoav Sternberg - he may have an understanding of how this all works. But then - his position could be - "nothing to do with me if your case doesn't work"... Hmmm...

I would like to understand how this all works - I have Googled but there doesn't seem to be a good description anywhere on this. LG support first of all thought it was just a sensor on the front knowing when the cover was opened and closed - then later they changed their mind and intimated that there was some "special" electronics embedded into their cases that was sensed by the phone. Ho humm...

Thanks for your help with this.

Roy

Upvote 0
Did you turn on the

I'm not sure. Don't have my case yet. What I am sure of is that you don't need the expensive case to make this work. My husband has G3 and has always used the Quick Circle feature. I've purchased the different cases, never had to buy the expensive one to have it work. Perhaps contact the app creator. That would be my next step.

Exactly what case are you getting? When you have it please let me know if it works properly.

I really am not worried about the cost - if only I could get the product that I want! A folding case, without a bloomin great hole in the front, that sleep/wakes the phone on close/open. Is that really too much to ask!!! :)

Perhaps I will contact Yoav Sternberg - he may have an understanding of how this all works. But then - his position could be - "nothing to do with me if your case doesn't work"... Hmmm...

I would like to understand how this all works - I have Googled but there doesn't seem to be a good description anywhere on this. LG support first of all thought it was just a sensor on the front knowing when the cover was opened and closed - then later they changed their mind and intimated that there was some "special" electronics embedded into their cases that was sensed by the phone. Ho humm...

Roy
I'm pretty sure LG just wants you to pay a fortune for their case. It could be a month before my case arrives, but I'll let you know how it goes. If you figure yours out, let me know. There's got to be a way.

Donna Richard DeLong
At Arizona
·

Comment
Joan Trahan Cappadonna
Looking good, my friend!
Like · More · Sep 16, 2014
Donna Richard DeLong
Like · More · Sep 16, 2014
Write a comment...

figure yours out, let me know.

Upvote 0

Roy
ordered my case from Ebay Item # : 391156614214 It's purple. I like purple.

Upvote 0
Yes - I'm sure you are right.

I also think it may have something to do with the Circle thing - they probably want to promote that as no one else has it... (as far as I know) - so if they can force people down that route it's good advertising etc...

You know what I mean.... "Oooo - look at that person over there in Starbucks - with one of those expensive phones with a hole in the case... Oooo I so want one of those..." Oh Yeah!

For me it's a complete waste of time and defeats the object of having a protective case. Unfortunately no one else seems to agree with me :)

I'm sure some people will find it very useful.

I will of course post here if I make any progress - don't hold your breath!

Roy

Upvote 0
Yes - I'm sure you are right.

I also think it may have something to do with the Circle thing - they probably want to promote that as no one else has it... (as far as I know) - so if they can force people down that route it's good advertising etc...

You know what I mean.... "Oooo - look at that person over there in Starbucks - with one of those expensive phones with a hole in the case... Oooo I so want one of those..." Oh Yeah!

For me it's a complete waste of time and defeats the object of having a protective case. Unfortunately no one else seems to agree with me :)

I'm sure some people will find it very useful.

I will of course post here if I make any progress - don't hold your breath!

Roy

Upvote 0
I got my cheap purple circle case from China. It didn't work. Tried it on my husband's G3 and it works. Tried just laying the cover on my screen and it works. Problem is, it's off center of the circle. I believe it's really made for the G3. You just can't get good quality for $5.14 (What was I thinking?) At least we've proven that it's not just the expensive LG case that makes the Quick Circle app work. Ordered a $15 case today, with qi charging...from the USA.

Upvote 0
I got my cheap purple circle case from China. It didn't work. Tried it on my husband's G3 and it works. Tried just laying the cover on my screen and it works. Problem is, it's off center of the circle. I believe it's really made for the G3. You just can't get good quality for $5.14 (What was I thinking?) At least we've proven that it's not just the expensive LG case that makes the Quick Circle app work. Ordered a $15 case today, with qi charging...from the USA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones