• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For anyone who is frustrated with the bloatware auto-updates in Market

I have the HTC Thunderbolt and ever since the new Gingerbread OTA, bloatware is in 'My Apps' in the Market. These apps were never in the market before. Apps such as Google Books, Google Search, V-Cast Music, Verizon Video, & VZ Navigator. The Market forces updates for them, even if you un-check auto-updates, they update eventually anyways so it doesn't matter. I do not want anything to do with these apps. If you have this issue of not wanting any of these or other forced bloatware apps installed on your phone, I found a solution.

First, uninstall all the updates to them if you have them installed(they'll still be annoyingly in 'My Apps'). Then go into Settings, Applications, Manage applications, find the Market & click on it, then click 'Clear data'.
Go back into the Market & they should be in the 'Not Installed' section of 'My Apps'. But wait, that is not the end of it! Oh they will install again. And again and again. I got so frustrated with it, being that I don't want them at all & they're all taking up precious memory, that I tried everything. Now go into Market settings, 'Content filtering' and check just 'Everyone'. This will completely stop the auto updates. At least it did for me on my phone. Normally, if I stopped the auto updates they'd just do it again in 20 minutes.

So now after two days & counting they haven't auto updated and they aren't even installed! Yay! The only con is if you search for an app and it doesn't show, you'll have to go back into Market settings and check 'Show all apps', or low maturity, high maturity, ect., then when you're done switch it back to 'everyone'.

I hope this works for you if you hate bloatware in your market!!

I have some apps that I froze, and the download appears anyway. You have to delete the app. Galaxy S 4G on TMO.

I'd love to stop Market. However I have an app that won't run unless Market is live.
It's a paid app and there is no substitute.

I've unchecked all apps except 3 not to update automatically. Market seems to ignore the changes. I'm worried about deleting the cache with the finicky paid for app.

Upvote 0
I have some apps that I froze, and the download appears anyway. You have to delete the app. Galaxy S 4G on TMO.

I'd love to stop Market. However I have an app that won't run unless Market is live.
It's a paid app and there is no substitute.

I've unchecked all apps except 3 not to update automatically. Market seems to ignore the changes. I'm worried about deleting the cache with the finicky paid for app.

I'm pretty sure you need root for that to even work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones