• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those of you who are in IT and are ON CALL

C

cbiffle

Hey guys and gals I would love some help here My incredible when it goes into power saving mode which is when the screen times out (I am one of our IT/Phone guys in my company) stops giving me audio notifications and data stops transferring. (have phone volume turned up of course :) I also have wifi or mobile data turned on. I have no other email accounts beside our pop3 exchange which we are on top off.

of course I have a crapload of apps (which most I haven't even played with yet fully, cuz this phone is so f-ing awesome.. the only real phone management settings third party app that i have installed is Quick Settings and Battery Time light. Everything appears to be in control on the app setting connection side.

these audio noifications (and of course emails and data going through) are very important to me in my job as well as yours. Maybe I am just missing a setting somewhere... (please help :))

if you could help me out that would be great

I thought I would start this thread, because if you are like me and reading this then it might a great way for enterprise IT people to come together to fix issues on multiple devices as android grows. I have been administering blackberries for the last five years and after the first week we already have fi 6 converts to the incredible including myself.. I have definitely been playing and learning, but there are going to be a million questions.

Cbiff

Android/Incredible rocks

Cbiff,

Check Settings => Wireless & Networks => Mobile Networks and see if 'Enable always-on mobile data' is checked or not. I've found that if I un-check that box it affects delivery of email (through Touchdown) from my Exchange account at work.

I work in IT too (as I'm sure many on this forum do) and spent a long time as a BES admin, then switched to the iPhone, and have recently converted to Android after getting fed up with the walled garden of Apple. A growing number of people in our IT department are making the same decision, so I agree that enterprise support of these devices will become more and more important.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
<-- Tampa as well, and in IT(do our BES stuff too). My DI has been great so far. Coming from a BB Storm it is like night and day. My only complaint would be that of course BB does Exchange much better, but I'm sure android will improve over time. The only feature I'm really lacking at this point is synchronizing down level folders (I have automatic rules setup to move mail), for now though I've turned off the rules for the emails I really need to see right away.

As far as getting my alerts, everything has been coming through fine, but I also left a lot of the notification and wireless settings at default.

Upvote 0
Nothing to add to what the previous posters have said, but wanted to chime in because I'm an IT person as well. Sup, guys :D

Loving my Incredible, and one of my users just switched over from a Moto Q. The Exchange support is fine for us. My only gripe is that I wish there was some way to have an Active Sync password policy that allowed the use of the pattern lock instead of the PIN. It'd be nice if Microsoft released some kind of patch to enable that feature for Android phones...but I really don't see that happening.

Upvote 0
i would say your problem is all those apps!
keep it simple i would suggest. particularly in a corporate environment.
those apps that are designed to make things easier, sound like are screwing u. its just some of the defaults for these third party apps are BAD!
i managed windows mobile phones and they REQUIRE alot of third party crap for the basic of things. android is significantly different. i would say to keep it stock as possible for best results. of course u will need some third party apps...but make sure you thoroughly play with them to have a VERY good understanding of their settings and default behavior.

Upvote 0
IT here as well and use my phone for On Call. We use SMS Text for paging though. Coming from a BB I miss some of the profile handling that the BB OS had. (That's about all I miss).

First you have to realize each app has it's own notification settings. Then realize you can set Phone Volumes and Notification Volumes separately in profiles. I'd found a few profile programs that work particularly well. The one I've found the most feature rich for Free is "Toggle Settings". This one has lots of Profile control and "Rules" that will change the profiles for you. The best pay for app is Locale with the Locale Notify Plug In. With that plug in I can set SMS to a special ring and all other notifications to "default ringtone" and then at a specific time of the day make my default ring tone silent while leaving SMS text on a different ring tone making noise. This ensures I get my SMS Texts at night when paged for work. I also use Handcent for the SMS messages and have it set to re-alert every 60 seconds till I acknowledge them.

This may or may not help resolve your silence issue but it is an insight to how the phone uses sounds and profile. The big one might be the make sure your notification volume is being set separate of your phone volume (I've seen combined volume option and separated options).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones