• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those who had a shred of hope that 2.1 leakers are getting OTA.....

mine was the trackball. sometimes they are nice, i could reproduce the issue but they replaced it anyways.

your best bet it seems is the silent call. have your mom call you a few times in the store or have the vzw rep do it-if shes pretty ;)

if you can show them that then youy can for sure get the replacement

Call...be dumb about the whole thing...tell them that you got this update thingy last week and now people call and you can't hear them. It gets stuck like that and you have to take your battery out. Tell them that your friend told you how to reset the phone, so you tried that and it still does it. When they ask which apps you have, tell them that you haven't put any on since you reset it last night. They'll tell you that the best they can do is send you a phone. Whine for a minute that you don't want to have to replace your pretty phone. (Optional:D) Finally give in and say that you guess you'll try out another phone because you HAVE to be able to make calls. Your phone will then be on the fedex truck on Wednesday (if you call today).

Upvote 0
I gotta say....I am kind of disappointed here. I don't think that it is right that we spend so much time talking about how we can deceive Verizon. It's not right that we keep trying to make up these excuses to try and get a refurb. It was said on another thread that Verizon will soon catch on to this and I believe that to be true. And personally, I am on 2.1v3 and I really want to go root, but I can't see myself going into Verizon to deceive them and to lie just because I effed up and installed the leak. It was my fault for jumping the gun and I will face the consequences. If anything, we should all be pooling our efforts to try and get the HBOOT fixed on the leak so we can all root instead of trying to pull a quick one on Verizon. Just my opinion. Hopefully someone out there feels the same.

Upvote 0
I gotta say....I am kind of disappointed here. I don't think that it is right that we spend so much time talking about how we can deceive Verizon. It's not right that we keep trying to make up these excuses to try and get a refurb. It was said on another thread that Verizon will soon catch on to this and I believe that to be true. And personally, I am on 2.1v3 and I really want to go root, but I can't see myself going into Verizon to deceive them and to lie just because I effed up and installed the leak. It was my fault for jumping the gun and I will face the consequences. If anything, we should all be pooling our efforts to try and get the HBOOT fixed on the leak so we can all root instead of trying to pull a quick one on Verizon. Just my opinion. Hopefully someone out there feels the same.

I agree.

I think those on here are having problems with their phones, not sure if it is because of the leak or not.

I am on leak 3 and have none of the problems with my Eris that others have. My wife however just started having phone lag problems, can't answer incoming calls, wont display contact picture, force closes instead of answering. She also has leak 3 and has had it since April 29th like me. Go figure. We were going to take it into Verizon yesterday but ran out of time. I might just call tech support again and let them know what is going on.

I also agree with trying to solve our HBOOT problem.

Upvote 0
its not decieving them when you have a legit issue.

those people why short out the battery connections, or purposly brick their phone...that i can see you having a problem with.

these are legit issues that verizon covers.

Yes, I do agree with that. If someone does have a LEGITIMATE issue, then by all means take it back. But I have read too many posts with people saying to just "play dumb" and say they have an issue when really the issue isn't that big of deal. But yes, I do agree with you. If I did have a legitimate issue I would take mine back and get a replacement. Verizon has always been good to me with getting replacements.

Upvote 0
Yes, I do agree with that. If someone does have a LEGITIMATE issue, then by all means take it back. But I have read too many posts with people saying to just "play dumb" and say they have an issue when really the issue isn't that big of deal. But yes, I do agree with you. If I did have a legitimate issue I would take mine back and get a replacement. Verizon has always been good to me with getting replacements.

the playing dum part is just because of the leak, not because they dont have an issue. the OTA and 2.1.3 are the same, any bugs found in 2.1.3 are NOT because its a leak, but because theres an issue in either the hardware or the 2.1 software. verizon shouldnt be able to deny you a refurb because you voided the warranty by installing software thats exactly the same as the OTA. thats the only thing these guys are trying to work around.

Upvote 0
Ok call me dumb but I have a question. I am new to phone programming and Unix code but I was doing some research and read that the reason we cannot root or go back to 1.5 has something to do with the radio version being older and it won't accept an older radio.

SO... here is my question, can't we trick the phone to thinking our radio is older or the root 2.1 radio is newer?

Upvote 0
the playing dum part is just because of the leak, not because they dont have an issue. the OTA and 2.1.3 are the same, any bugs found in 2.1.3 are NOT because its a leak, but because theres an issue in either the hardware or the 2.1 software. verizon shouldnt be able to deny you a refurb because you voided the warranty by installing software thats exactly the same as the OTA. thats the only thing these guys are trying to work around.

Ok, I can agree with that. Just sounded to me that people were trying to abuse the system. Sorry to distract from the purpose of this thread. I just hope this HBOOT problem gets fixed in the near future! I wish I knew more about the nitty gritty tech stuff so I could figure it out myself. But alas...

Upvote 0
Ok call me dumb but I have a question. I am new to phone programming and Unix code but I was doing some research and read that the reason we cannot root or go back to 1.5 has something to do with the radio version being older and it won't accept an older radio.

SO... here is my question, can't we trick the phone to thinking our radio is older or the root 2.1 radio is newer?

got it wrong, its the bootloader, not the radio. the radio can be interchanged at any time.

and i know your trying to be helpful, but i think if it was that easy itd be done by now :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones