• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fossil Q Founder - Someone really bought one

lunatic59

Moderati ergo sum
Jun 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
www.cmgd.net
Yep, It was me. :D

As promised my review.

I went with the steel band, which is a much more versatile look than the two-toned dark band (although it is a very good looking watch/band combo).

The package arrived on Saturday in the midst of a rather nasty respiratory infection, so I didn't even open it until Sunday. The packaging is nicely put together and what I'd expect from a watch company as opposed to a tech company.

IMG_20160522_134624.jpg

IMG_20160522_134742.jpg

Other than the watch itself, the first thing you notice is the charging bed/cradle/pillow thing. In many of the reviews the opinions ranged from "um, okay, whatever" to "WHAT THE F%^K WERE THEY THINKING". I don't see what all the fuss is about. So you have to pick it up to slide the band around it? That it looks like a footstool for a miniature poodle? Hey, it's unique and it works and if you don't like it, then just use a different charger. I tried the original Moto360 charger and my Anker hockey puck and they both charge the watch.

IMG_20160522_134910.jpg

IMG_20160522_134922.jpg

You know what? The watch looks so nice, who gives a rat's fossil what the charger looks like?

The watch itself is what I'd expect from Fossil ... now. I should explain. Back before Fossil was trendy -- just another fish caught in the tar pits (late '80s) -- my wife bought me a Fossil watch which I absolutely loved. The only problem was that the band was cloth and leather and got very dirty very quickly. And, it was very hard to find bands that both fit and matched the watch. Then Fossil got all full of themselves in the '90s and started pumping out some bizarre designs and I lost interest. It's only been within the last few years that I've thought Fossil was a brand worth consideration again.

So ... It's round like a watch should be. It's a little bulky, but no more than the 360. The bracelet is nicely finished with a substantial weight and sturdy, easy operating clasp. The crown is nicely knurled like a traditional watch crown, even though it doesn't turn. It's just a button, but a good looking one. In other words, this thing feels like a real watch, not a piece of watch-like tech strapped to your wrist.

As a smartwatch, it's incredibly average. No heart rate monitor and it does the same "flat tire" thing the 360's do for the ambient light sensor. First off, the heart rate sensor on the 360 was rather inaccurate. Depending on the time of day, position on your wrist, color of your skin and alignment of the planets it could easily tell you that you are running a marathon while you are sitting on your porch drinking a beer. I doubt I'll miss it. As for the flat tire business, that's already been discussed to death, so either it bothers you or you can live with it. 'nuf said.

Performance wise -- mind you I've only been using it for less than two days -- it seems fluid and responsive. I'm not sure what the definitive speed test is for a smart watch. It works pretty much the same as the 360, which I was perfectly happy with. Battery-wise, it's been on my wrist since 8:00 a.m. (it's now 4:00 p.m. here) and it's down to 63%. Not bad considering I've been showing it around and using it a little more than I normally would. My moto would have shut down already.

The Fossil Q app ... installed it ... used it ... trashed it. Move along, nothing to see there. I suppose for the other members of the Q series that aren't Wear devices it is necessary, but it doesn't do anything for the Founder.

While you do get some Fossil specific faces like goober here (or what ever his nickname is)

IMG_20160524_121023.jpg

I'm sticking with my TAG Calibre face for now.

IMG_20160524_120921.jpg

That's all for now. I'd have to agree with the the majority of the reviews ... it's only an average smartwatch, but it's a great looking watch. That's fine by me and I hope to be wearing this for a long time. :D

This is Qi only so I would assume any Qi charger it can sit on will work. What's the Huawei charger like?
It's a proprietary magnetic puck with pogo pins that line up on the back. I had @codesplice 3d print me a stand for it. It's the one real gripe I have with it.

5qUW_BzDb1UEgx9RkjjBeLnlEe591dP3fp3WIt5zLBI-B0O9u39VayYT79d61fC1RQ

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
While you do get some Fossil specific faces like goober here (or what ever his nickname is)

View attachment 105251

I'm sticking with my TAG Calibre face for now.

View attachment 105252

I have to ask, what's that black area at the bottom of the screen/face? To me it looks like a defective screen. Hope it isn't. :thumbsupdroid:

IMG_20160524_121023.jpg

It's the same on the Tag face as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to ask, what's that black area at the bottom of the screen/face? To me it looks like a defective screen. Hope it isn't. :thumbsupdroid:

View attachment 105265
It's the same on the Tag face as well.

Just like the Moto 360, it has a cutout at the bottom of the screen to hold the ambient light sensor.

Upvote 0
I've not seen a Moto 360, the only Android Wears I've seen are the Huawei Watch, basically because that's the only Android Wear timepiece available in China. And on those the circle is complete, the whole face is showing.
huawei_watch_4.jpg

On the Fossil with the Fossil face, half the "6" is missing, that's what I noticed.

We have a heck of a lot of cheapo smart-watches, but pretty much all of them are rather crummy, or absolute garbage. And there's Apple Watch as well of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've not seen a Moto 360, the only Android Wears I've seen are the Huawei Watch. And on those the circle is complete, the whole face is showing.

Yep, the notorious "flat tire" (or 'tyre' for those at the other end of the Gulf Stream). There's no ambient light sensor on the Huawei watch.

With the first round of Android Wear Devices, this was a hotly criticized "feature" of the Moto360. The 1st gen. 360 was the best looking of the devices IMHO and i while I wasn't too concerned about the ambient light sensor, I was concerned about having a decent looking watch. I was able to disregard the 'flat tire' for the most part and because i tend to prefer a darker watch face, it is hardly noticeable.

The Q Founder presented the same compromise, but having a good looking watch is much more important to me. And, I have come to find I kinda like the ambient light features.

I know others would vehemently disagree.

Upvote 0
I know others would vehemently disagree.

I like my round watches to be round, tyvm. ;)

How well does the ambient light sensor work on this one? I know I've spoken to a few owners of the first-gen 360 who said it wasn't reliable enough to actually, well, rely upon. Does it do a good job of adapting the display brightness as needed, and in a timely manner?

Upvote 0
Well let me just say this about that ... um ... sort of.

As with any ambient light adjustments there has to be a bit of a delay or the thing would be constantly adjusting itself for every shadow or reflection. So far, I haven't noticed that much difference from the Moto360 (1st gen) but that's okay by me because that always was fine. I must just use it in decent environments for ambient settings.

I am working in my home office today and the watch is in a relatively dark spot on my desk so it stays dim. I just walked it over to the window and in two or three seconds it adjusted nicely to the sunny day we are having and is easily readable. A smooth fade transition, too ... SWEET!

I just turned on "brightness boost' and I think i burned out a retina. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones