• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FoxFi on Virgin Mobile phones

I have a question. I currently have Virgin Mobile's (USA) LG Optimus V on which I have Android 2.2.1 and running FoxFi on it. I am happy with it. Now that my girlfriend needs a smart phone for the first time in her life, I want to hand her my old one and get a new one for myself. Since I am on an unlimited data plan and my biggest use for it being the internet connectivity, running FoxFi is crucial for me.

I checked the FoxFi's device compatibility list and saw a measly 3 phones listed under Virgin Mobile,

LG Optimus V 2.2
Samsung Intercept 2.2
LG Optimus Slider 2.3

And I want to buy one of their cheap(er) phones, namely, either Kyocera Rise or Kyocera Event, both of which are running Android 4.0.

I am wondering, of there is anyone on these forums, using either of these phones and able run FoxFi on it ? If you do, did it work as it came or did you have to resort to any "tweaking" and if you did, what was the nature of the tweaking.

As you can guess, I do not want to deal with rooting the phone and supporting the OS myself. I have enough UNIX in my professional life. I want to keep my personal life simple :)

Thanks for your answers

I too want to get rid of my old Optimus V and upgrade to the F3 but Virgin is spitting and sputtering saying that I can't mobile hotspot that phone.

I MUST have tethering or hotspot capability due to my job.

I successfully run FoxFi on the Optimus V but I don't know if it will run on the F3. Has anyone successfully managed FoxFi on the F3 in either wifi mode or even Bluetooth?

Upvote 0
Well, after Kyocera Event went down to $20 at Radio Shack, I couldn't resist and bought one and yeasterday was day-1 of my troubles. FoxFi doesn't work. It says hotspot is ready but my old cell phone, sitting next to it, can not connect to the wireless network. I also tried with my laptop and it seemed to attach itself to the hotspot but was uanble to connect to any website, but my laptop has an old Cisco AirOnet wifi adapter and it may be capable of doing more than my optimus V to establish connection. I don't know. If anyone has found a fix, short of rooting the device, to enable foxfi or similar functionality on the stock kyocera event, I'd be ecstatic to hear/read how you did it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones