• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free Phone Fridays at Best Buy

So I called Best Buy today to see if I can get my money back, and initially they told me I can. However, when I went to the store the manager informed me that this would be impossible, as it takes 3 days to cancel the contract with Verizon, and by that time the promotion would be unavailable. Normally, I would put up a fight, but it seemed like it would take an incredible amount of effort on both the managers end and my end to make this actually work, and truthfully I couldn't be bothered.

However, as I read in an earlier post, my brother is up for an upgrade as well, so maybe I can switch that to my line, and return the phone for the difference?

150 dollars is definitely a big deal for a recent college grad who is barely making that in week right now, but I'm so happy with my phone, and have already set all my preferences and settings. In addition, I'd hate to risk the possibility of getting a new phone that is a factory dud, as some people have had a lot of problems with their phones. Am I crazy to just let this go and eat the $150?

Upvote 0
It may take you a replacement or two before you find one that doesn't have that issue or your GPS being close to frustrating uselessness. It's a good phone if you get one that works great, so don't give up. If you aren't entirely opposed to the slightly larger size of the X, it's a great alternative (just wait until Amazon offers it for the $99 upgrade price again).

Reactions: oneiztoomany
Upvote 0
So I called Best Buy today to see if I can get my money back, and initially they told me I can. However, when I went to the store the manager informed me that this would be impossible, as it takes 3 days to cancel the contract with Verizon, and by that time the promotion would be unavailable. Normally, I would put up a fight, but it seemed like it would take an incredible amount of effort on both the managers end and my end to make this actually work, and truthfully I couldn't be bothered.

However, as I read in an earlier post, my brother is up for an upgrade as well, so maybe I can switch that to my line, and return the phone for the difference?

150 dollars is definitely a big deal for a recent college grad who is barely making that in week right now, but I'm so happy with my phone, and have already set all my preferences and settings. In addition, I'd hate to risk the possibility of getting a new phone that is a factory dud, as some people have had a lot of problems with their phones. Am I crazy to just let this go and eat the $150?

I think the person you spoke to might be wrong. When doing a price guarantee they do not need to cancel your old agreement. It's not an actual return. I did that with a camera I bought from them which went on sale the following week and they refunded me the difference without any questions asked. I just showed them my receipt. They did ring it up like a return so why would they need to cancel your current agreement.

Anyways

Upvote 0
First time android user. I got my SF from BB mobile yesterday. I live in California and I walked out without spending a dime on the phone. It was such a good deal I got the wife one too! I did buy a screen protector and a car charger, but there was no charge for the phones, not even tax. The guy did say that Verizon charges an Activation fee, not Best Buy.

Upvote 0
Dang, I didn't know they charged tax and activation online but I know in-store it's absolutely no charge.

When i ordered mine online so i could go pick it up it said that there was like 40 buck just for tax. i went ahead and bought it anyways. That was at the beginning of this month and my card still hasnt been charged for it. So im thinking that there really isnt any tax, just kinda a slip up on the website or something.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones