• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help freedompop LG Volt boot loop (no root and perceived stock ROM)

zarraza

Sep 20, 2010
SORRY - Noob here - I don't root my devices, as I want them to "just work" and flashing isn't my forte' but I've dabbled a little bit with not that much success - I literally have a box of devices that are bricked that could use some TLC, but I just don't have the knowledge to fix them - so they sit, that being said.....This Volt has been one of my primary devices for quite some time - and it has pics I'd like to get off as well as certain apps that are "registered" to the device I'd like to get back up and running that were earning me money!
So without further adieu.....
One day last week I picked up my phone and it had powered itself off, as I powered it back on, it simply gets stuck in a boot loop at the LG splash screen, over and over until I pull the battery.
I have found a thread (http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-brick-recovery.893332/#post-6842076) that tells me how to get in to download mode to try and recover - I downloaded all the files and put them in to what I perceive to be the proper directories according to the instructions, I hold volume UP and plug in USB - device turns on shows download mode then displays "press the volume up key until you see the download screen
and that's as far as it gets - at one point it was "installing a device" but the device install didn't complete and basically needed new drivers - so I removed it - and it's not coming back - but I still don't see anything under COM ports as suggested in the documentation.
I let it sit for a while (while not holding the volume up button) and it makes the install noise that win 10 does and shows some new stuff on the screen -
[100390] fastboot_init
[100490] USB Init ept @ 0xffdf000
[100510] udc_start()
[100610] -- reset --
[100610] -- portchange --
[100920] fastboot: processing commands

then does nothing - nothing else happens on the phone - and nothing is happening on the computer.

it's like I can't get in to download mode - is there a trick I am overlooking
how long should I wait? a minute? longer? until my finger falls off?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones