• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo 2.2 on the Incredible?

funny, i am no math major but june is the 6th month out of the year, and 6/12 rounded down is 1/2, which is half the year...sorry just playin, haha

i doubt we will get it before june 4th, but i have a feeling we will see it in the next couple months. but i would like to wrong and see it earlier.

i know its been said before, but 2.1 to 2.2 is not as drastic of a change as it was from 1.6 to 2.1 (ie the hero update). so in theory it should be quicker for htc to roll out a 2.2 update, unless of course they want a whole new sense 2.2 update as well. personally i just want 2.2 with sense 2.1
Earliest is 2nd half of the year, which judging by how 2.1 was handled with the Eris, is VERY VERY unlikely. We are probably looking at a Aug/Sept release.

FYI, since Jan counts as a month, that would mean the end of the first half is June and that July starts the 2nd half;):p

Upvote 0
Or that verizon haz an app that they are letting people know about. Goodness, doesn't anyone look at the documentation that comes with their phone anymore? VZAccess Manager is the VERIZON website with the app to use the android phones as a tethered hot spot. I would be surprised if they allowed wired tethering and did not allow wifi tethering. Since the wifi tethering has already been started with the palm phones, it is not that far a stretch to allow it on all phones.

People don't like reading (manuals) anymore ha!

Upvote 0
Samsung phones have actually been pretty good hardware wise, and the specs on the Galaxy S are quite decent. Unfortunately where it all falls apart is on the software end, just look at the Moment. It didn't get 2.1 until a few days ago and the UI is nowhere as clean as the HTC/Sense UI. AFAIK there's also no multi-touch.

I do hope the Galaxy S gets some play on a good provider. If you want a Moment I'm fairly sure you only have Sprint as an option here in the continental US, which is pretty awful in my area.

You have fun with your Daewo... err... Samsung. I'm sure it'll have no issues whatsoever ;)

Upvote 0
I switched over from an iphone because I thought Android would be more "open". When I bought my Incredible I didn't know it has a custom UI and that it would take months to update to newer versions of Android.

Just a little disappointed.

Sorry that it couldn't bee an iPhone and when a new release with a bunch of new features came out that you had to... buy a new phone. Oops.

I looks like Android is going to add ads, so on every screen we will start seeing ads?

Not quite. Apple is actually doing this and trying to make it a selling point. *boggle*

I get it, things 'don't count' when they have the effect of proving you wrong. :)

I'm not saying I like iPhone better, I'm saying it's incorrect to state that it hasn't had major new features added.

Comparatively Android updates have been less exciting because more functionality has been baked in since day 1.

Android has received more updates, on top of being more open and doing more.

Again, to get a real change you need to get a new iPhone. Go grab a first gen iPhone and tell me how much functionality it has and how many updates to make it nearly as functional. The latest offering is quiet a piece of work and is a very solid phone, don't get me wrong. The software offering is lackluster, though. Lots of Android devices, yes this OS can work on a multitude of different phones, have been upgraded to the 2.x platform from the 1.x platform. Some of them will even continue to get upgrades.

Not to mention that I can get plenty of use out of my phone and I don't have to void it's warranty.

Upvote 0
Sorry that it couldn't bee an iPhone and when a new release with a bunch of new features came out that you had to... buy a new phone. Oops.

Not quite. Apple is actually doing this and trying to make it a selling point. *boggle*

Android has received more updates, on top of being more open and doing more.

Again, to get a real change you need to get a new iPhone. Go grab a first gen iPhone and tell me how much functionality it has and how many updates to make it nearly as functional. The latest offering is quiet a piece of work and is a very solid phone, don't get me wrong. The software offering is lackluster, though. Lots of Android devices, yes this OS can work on a multitude of different phones, have been upgraded to the 2.x platform from the 1.x platform. Some of them will even continue to get upgrades.

Not to mention that I can get plenty of use out of my phone and I don't have to void it's warranty.

Not voiding the warranty & getting what you need/want = Epic Win.

Upvote 0
Um,,, $200 with the contract.;)

As I said I am just a little disappointed. It's like buying a Dell then having a new Windows come out but having to wait for months for Dell to let me upgrade.

I guess what I'm saying is HTC should have had 2.2 beta and have the upgrade already done or close to it.

I'm not an Apple fanboy/whiner it just seems a little backwards compared to what I'm used to.

And how long did you wait for major iPhone OS releases? Once per year? The Incredible was released at the end of April and we're looking at September for a major update. I'd say that's pretty reasonable, no?

Frankly, I'm happy to wait for the manufacturer and carrier to "get it right the first time", rather than send out a buggy release. I want it to work consistently, without freezing or crashing, rather than have it come out quickly.

Upvote 0
i dont know if i managed to find this anywhere, so if anyone roots their incredible and then decide to revert to the official 2.2 update from htc when it comes, will the device be able to revert?
It isn't rooted yet and probably won't be before 2.2 is released for the Incredible.

And no one expects a 2.1 root to work on 2.2 for any device. Though stranger things have happened.

Upvote 0
2.2 really takes the cake. I will stick with the Incredible for a year if HTC can promise 2.2 on it by end of June. Otherwise, returning this phone next week and getting a Samsung Galaxy S.

You trust SAMSUNG and either T-mobile or AT&T to get an OS update faster than HTC / Verizon?

I don't think so.

Galaxy isn't running stock 2.1, its got a GUI enhancement just like the HTC incredible / Droid Eris do. So no instant Froyo for you.

HTC has already stated that the Incredible, Desire and Evo will be the first handsets they're going to be putting 2.2 onto. I would say a month, maybe two for that. They've already promised all handsets capable of 2.2 will have them by end of the year and that the three i mentioned will get priority.

Upvote 0
HTC has confirmed to Pocket-lint that "most phones launched this year will get an upgrade to [Android] 2.2". following the announcement that Google will be releasing the latest version of the mobile phone OS in the next couple of weeks.

However, those hoping that they're newly bought HTC Desire or HTC Legend will be getting the Google Android 2.2 update, previously called Froyo, before the summer, think again.

Our man in HTC has told us the bad news that "updates will come in the second half of the year".

"As we get closer to readiness, we'll reveal a full list, but for now have started with the most popular models like Desire [in the UK] and Droid Incredible [in the US] as well as some of the hotly anticipated new phones.

One HTC handset that is likely to get the 2.2 update, however, is the Nexus One from Google. Made by HTC for Google it doesn't have the Sense UI skin interface and therefore is easier to roll out a new update.

The new update brings with it a number of new features like the ability to turn your mobile phone into a wireless hotspot as well as the usual speed and usability enhancements.

The news is unlikely to be any consolation to HTC Hero owners who've been waiting almost a year for an update beyond version 1.6. It looks like just as they plan to get the Android 2.1 update (expected in June) the carrot has been moved further ahead once again.

HTC hasn't confirmed if any handsets released prior to 2010 will be getting the Android 2.2 update.
HTC: Some, but not all phones to get Android 2.2 - Pocket-lint

Upvote 0
Given the last HTC/Verizon upgrade involving Sense (Eris to 2.1), I'd give a wide target if I was HTC, too.

I would hope that HTC/VZW learned something last time around, and that this will go smoother, and I don't know that 2.1 to 2.2 has as many UI implications as 2.0 to 2.1 did, but HTC is better off being vague than committing to a date that will cause people to call them liars when they/VZW miss it.

Upvote 0
You are talking about a closed system (iPhone), where you have a CEO that makes all your decisions for you, and when you do have the "nerve" to request something, he will put on a big hollywood style production and tell you why you don't need it. Then he'll proceed to tell you that he knows what you want better than you do. Then he'll go one to pontificate about some feature that other platforms have had for a long time, and tell you how ground breaking it is. Three generations for a limited cut and paste? No, thanks!

LOL!!!! Perfect analogy! In spite of the fact that I like and use many Apple products I still find your post accurate AND hysterical .

BTW, even tho I like Apple products, Steve is taking so long getting divorced from ATT that I bought an Incredible. I'm so happy with it that I doubt I'll ever get an iPhone.

Upvote 0
I agree this did get off topic. When root does arrive for the incredible someone will be right there making a rom for Android 2.2. But with the way rooting the Incredible is goin youll get the OTA before the rooting comes (I really hope I eat these words). People that are behind the rooting on other phones are not goin to root this phone Paul mainly I know ov he doesnt really care about the Incredible since its not goin to be released in the UK. I dont blame him either. So now its up to us to root the phone so the guys behind this are on XDA so if you have ideas about how to go at this process check out there thread but remember dont talk about nothin on that thread that aint useful theres another one you could take about your hate how slow its goin with rooting the phone but Ill tell you this dont talk to much crap cause the guys mainly behind it are willing to pull out and leave the phone so added useful comments. Rooting the Incredible isnt get much love so I hope things turn for the better on the rooting but will see only time will tell.

Paul is a great guy, but he is just one of many....we are working on root as we have in the past and I look forward to making u eat ur words ;) in a friendly competive way.
Cheers!

Upvote 0
2.2 really takes the cake. I will stick with the Incredible for a year if HTC can promise 2.2 on it by end of June. Otherwise, returning this phone next week and getting a Samsung Galaxy S.

You might as well return it today cause they will not roll that update by the end of June. That is why they are so vague and say second half of 2010 which covers them thru December.

Upvote 0
I posted this in another section of the forum but didn't get an answer that made sense to me. Posting it here in the Dinc section to see if anyone can help. Thanks!

I'm relatively new to Android coming from WinMo and I have been really happy with my new 'phone' (it's so much more than that, isn't it?). Now I'm reading about the Froyo update, and how everyone is rooting their phones and flashing and tethering and I am so freaking lost! I don't want to do all that stuff to my poor, innocent phone and I won't because I will certainly brick it. But my simple question is, will a Froyo update become available to the masses or is the only way to get the newest, hottest version of Android is to buy a new phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones