• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo, not convinced. Convince me.

This isn't a total revolutionary change like the transition from 1.5 to 2.1. It's essentially just the same as 2.1 with a couple small OS improvements like the new JIT (hence 2.1 -> 2.2, not 2.1 -> 3.0+) combined with a few extras and improvements on HTC's stuff (instead of making a separate update for their own sense ui stuff).

I don't know what you were expecting, but I can assure you that whatever it was, it's not that. I think you may have had your expectations set too high. Basically, expect an improvement, not the rebirth of technology as we know it.

Upvote 0
i have nothing to add, except for a thanks for the laugh! i must need to get a firmware update because my phone still has not yet printed money, kicked anyone's ass, or given me a bj.

Wait I missed the memo... wtf? has this worked for anyone else?
its all in there root I swear.
This isn't a total revolutionary change like the transition from 1.5 to 2.1. It's essentially just the same as 2.1 with a couple small OS improvements like the new JIT (hence 2.1 -> 2.2, not 2.1 -> 3.0+) combined with a few extras and improvements on HTC's stuff (instead of making a separate update for their own sense ui stuff).

I don't know what you were expecting, but I can assure you that whatever it was, it's not that. I think you may have had your expectations set too high. Basically, expect an improvement, not the rebirth of technology as we know it.
yeah I guess I just expected more by the way everyone war talking.

Upvote 0
mine takes 4 hours to get that far now.

Others have found that to ensure all kinks are out these steps help a lot, and in a lot of cases, then factory reset to work out any defects or kinks.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/137941-official-hows-your-battery-life-after-froyo-2.html#post1276272

If you scroll down, you'll find others such as yourself getting their juice performance back.

Use Titanium Backup, save your apps. Save your desktop config with Settings-> Personalize-> Scenes, Menu->Save, the backup with Titanium by filtering for DESKTOP. When you restore after backup if you go the factory reset route, then save your existing, wrong desktop to something like a dummy name - like, dummy - then the DESKTOP will reappear in the filter list and you can restore it.

A few widgets will have missing icons and need do-overs - that's actually normal for a desktop restore, and isn't because of froyo.

Best luck.

Upvote 0
Others have found that to ensure all kinks are out these steps help a lot, and in a lot of cases, then factory reset to work out any defects or kinks.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g...r-battery-life-after-froyo-2.html#post1276272

If you scroll down, you'll find others such as yourself getting their juice performance back.

Use Titanium Backup, save your apps. Save your desktop config with Settings-> Personalize-> Scenes, Menu->Save, the backup with Titanium by filtering for DESKTOP. When you restore after backup if you go the factory reset route, then save your existing, wrong desktop to something like a dummy name - like, dummy - then the DESKTOP will reappear in the filter list and you can restore it.

A few widgets will have missing icons and need do-overs - that's actually normal for a desktop restore, and isn't because of froyo.

Best luck.

Hey EarlyMon. Is there any specific widgets that will have missing icons. I was wondering if the widgets will still need do-overs if I wait till the official release, and/or do you think i would have to follow these instructions as well after the official release. I know it hasn't been released yet, but what is your guess if any, since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable in this area. I only ask because I am pretty brand new to android and don't have the guts to try and update it manually, lol.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
You don't. Why don't you convince yourself what you need.

OK soI am new to android phones and all I have heard over there last few months is how magical group will be. turning my phone into a money printing, ass kicking, blow job giving piece of machinery obviously descended from the gods. So far I am a bit underwhelmed by what I Have been reading. Mine has unrevoked3 with underclocking and freewifi. I couldoverclock and make ita bit faster. why doI need froyo. other than the free blowjobs of course.

Upvote 0
Hey EarlyMon. Is there any specific widgets that will have missing icons. I was wondering if the widgets will still need do-overs if I wait till the official release, and/or do you think i would have to follow these instructions as well after the official release. I know it hasn't been released yet, but what is your guess if any, since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable in this area. I only ask because I am pretty brand new to android and don't have the guts to try and update it manually, lol.

It's not at all uncommon for widgets to break without the app being broken with any of the updates I've had.

You'll simply find some weird looking text box(es) on your desktop saying the widget ain't happenin' - simply drag it off, and then re-do the widget.

It can happen with stock Android widgets, 3rd party apps, you name it - it's not terribly widespread, but it's not terribly uncommon either. It's really just one of those nuisance things and nothing to worry.

I compare it to the desktop world, where I've gone thru OS updates for Windows and OS X where a widget is still there - but no longer works. At least this way you see it coming.

My advice ranges from the obvious to the sublime and I'm not always 100% right on stuff (nah, c'mon, yes I am :lmao: ) so don't be afraid to trust a better explanation if one comes along.

And don't sweat waiting on the full rollout for Froyo.

You've got an EVO - that puts you in the same edge-cutting club that we all belong to.

Don't let anyone tell you differently. ;)

(Even if their sentences don't end in preposteristions.)

Reactions: optikalillusi0n
Upvote 0
FWIW, I think the original response from dguy was very helpful. It's nice to see ALL of the Froyo updates in a tidy format, all together, without everyone spewing their "I need" "I want" "I hate" "You suck" along with it.

Of course, the "convince me" thing is a weird way to start this post (hi, OP!), but I guess it worked since we all clicked over...

Upvote 0
FWIW, I think the original response from dguy was very helpful. It's nice to see ALL of the Froyo updates in a tidy format, all together, without everyone spewing their "I need" "I want" "I hate" "You suck" along with it.

Of course, the "convince me" thing is a weird way to start this post (hi, OP!), but I guess it worked since we all clicked over...

mind your own business!!!! :mad:
I have $.02 and i want everyone to have a share!

:p LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones