• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Frustrated. Need help in this decision :(

I am just curious what the YouTube issue is? I have the update on my Eris and have continued to use YouTube without any issues!

I'm curious what people keep watching on YouTube! :thinking:

Last time I checked, it was just clips of random junk on there. Of course, you could never get enough of dogs running on treadmills or talent show performances...hehe. (Psst...search for ttran97 on YouTube :cool:)

I wish we had hulu! TV.com is ok, but I'm not really a CBS fan.

Upvote 0
I had the Droid, I knew I wanted the Droid, I loved my Droid. I know have the Eris and I am starting to like her.

My problem with the Droid was not the many little bugs and odd things that go along with a beta phone. It was the call reception quality. The Eris beats my Droid on reception hand over fist. There is no comparison. Half the time with my Droid people could not understand me (even after the update that "fixed" this issue).

My complaint with the Eris? The shockingly low battery life (which I hope to have addressed today), and the lag when turning on the phone. Other than that, this phone works just fine for me and will work perfectly when it is upgraded to 2.1 (given that it includes turn by turn nav).

Upvote 0
When I went into Verizon, I was set on the Moto Droid. I didn't even know the Eris existed. The Verizon Rep introduced me to the Eris and I still didn't pay any attention to it. I was focused on the Motorola. After a week of problems with it, I exchanged it for the Eris and have been happy (outside a few minor glitches that will hopefully be fixed).

They even let me keep the 16gb sd card when I switched phones.

Upvote 0
There are a few stanch Droid supporters out there that say the Droid is the cat's meow and that will NEVER admit to it's shortcomings. I had the phone for three weeks and HATED it. Not the OS the PHONE. So the Eris is on order and I know I will like it more. A two hour "drive' in the store was all the proof that I needed.

Droid fans are Droid fans and Eris fans know better...

Upvote 0
OP, I feel your pain. I had a Moto and traded it in for the Eris. There are drawbacks to both phones unfortunately. Although I have been called indecisive in my thread, I think it's completely reasonable to fret over the choices because you are locked into the phone for a pretty long period of time unless you pay the new (heftier) ETF or pay full price. Plus I have no desire to leave Verizon as their service is better than any other I have tried over the years and I have been with them for 7 years now.

I get exchanging for full price what is an ETF? I am still debating between Eris and Droid. Worry 30 day trade in period may not be enough to deciede on which is better. So may need to return after 30 days.

Upvote 0
I get exchanging for full price what is an ETF? I am still debating between Eris and Droid. Worry 30 day trade in period may not be enough to deciede on which is better. So may need to return after 30 days.

im gonna wait and see what happens by the holiday return deadline, if nothing happens, uhm, im gonna be sad :(

Upvote 0

I have no idea what ETF is but I do know this: IMHO the Droid is not the phone the Eris is. YES, the Droid is faster and has a bigger CPU, etc. but the phone isn't agronomically a nice phone. It is square. And heavy. The slider is a junky afterthought.

The Eris is sleek. And sharp. Yes it has Cupcake but will be getting Eclair soon!

Go to your local corporate store and just hold them for a second. That will tell you a lot.

I had the Droid. Tried to like it. Now the Eris is gonna be in my hands on Tuesday!

Upvote 0
ETF = Early Termination Fee = $350

If you have one of these smartphones or "media" phones, you'll be charged $350 if you cancel your contract before it is up. You'll get a credit of $10 off the ETF for every month after the first month that you stay on contract.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181385/verizon_to_double_wireless_early_termination_fee.html

"Beginning 11/15/09, customers purchasing an Advanced Device with a 1 or 2 year service agreement will be subject to an ETF of up to $350 if they disconnect service prior to completing the minimum term. The $350 ETF will decrease by $10 for each month of service completed."

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
When I first hear about the Droid, I knew I had to have it. It was going to be the best phone ever I just knew it. The specs just looked so good. Then it came out. I went to the store and tried it out a little bit. It turned out to be a bunch of hype. I tried out the Eris and ended up purchasing an Eris outright and have never thought twice about it. I have never had any lag whatsoever on my Eris and have several friends with the Droid. Their phones lag all the time. Its weird cuz the processor is a bit faster, its running the stock Android UI, has a GPU in it and yet it still lags when switching from one home screen to the next or when pulling down the notification bar. Eris, running a slower proc, and running the Sense UI, has yet to let me down. My 2 cents. :D

Upvote 0
when these bugs get fixed, and yes, they will get fixed, this will be my favorite phone ive owned :) as much as i hate the bugs, i love the feel of this phone. the bugs will go away and the new os will come. just wish there was a lil more feedback from htc or verizon before people get the impression that 'this phone is R.I.P' and return it.

Upvote 0
ETF = Early Termination Fee = $350

If you have one of these smartphones or "media" phones, you'll be charged $350 if you cancel your contract before it is up. You'll get a credit of $10 off the ETF for every month after the first month that you stay on contract.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181385/verizon_to_double_wireless_early_termination_fee.html

Quick correction. If you signed your contract (regardless of which phone) PRIOR to 11/15/09, your ETF is NOT $350. It is $175, still. I originally upgraded on 11/13 with a Storm 2 (yeah, I know) switched to Droid on 11/18, another Droid on 11/30, another Droid on 12/8, and Eris on 12/11. My ETF is still $175 as that is when my contract began. Check your contract dates, folks. This will be important if you leave VZW early.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones