• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Full Multitouch coming?

You guys are spinning around in circles.

Just to clear things up:
Android, the operating system, DOES support multitouch.
The native apps which come with most phones DON'T support multitouch.
Some popular third party apps out there make use of the multitouch which is supported by the android operating system.

Happy now? See, that wasn't so hard.

Also comparing multitouch and multitasking to each other is completely ridiculous in my opinion. It's like saying "Oh I prefer having a cone of vanilla ice cream over having a cat."

It's two completely different things.

Upvote 0

off course completely different. that s not the point! you are missing the point. no one is arguing whether the two are the same.

the point is: a lot of android users are clamoring for MT; a lot of iphone users are clamoring for multitasking. lack of multitasking in the iphone has not hurt the iphone (and former iphone users who turned to N1: please dont say "oh lack of multitaskin in iphone was a deal breaker for me" if it was a deal breaker, why did u use iphones before android?) because most iphone users are average people, not geeks; the lack of multitouch in native android has hurt android phones in the u.s because up to this day, android remains a geeky phone that is mostly for geeks and techies.

Upvote 0
Google should have had it as an *option* for at least a couple stock apps. I wouldn't use it, but it would have shut people up. But if they had made MT the default with no option to switch to double-click zoom, *I* would be the one bitching...

For the record, pinch to zoom and double-tap coexist on the iPhone. There would be no need for options to turn one or the other off.

This debate it ridiculous. Anyone arguing against multi-touch in native apps is an idiot. Feel free to believe you wouldn't use it (as unlikely as that is to be reality) but to prefer it to not be there would be just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Upvote 0
...the lack of multitouch in native android has hurt android phones in the u.s because up to this day, android remains a geeky phone that is mostly for geeks and techies.

..and if we're all geeks, we won't be scared of going into the market and downloading apps that replace the stock google apps with ones that can do multi-touch.

I am of the opinion that Google should have included it as standard in their apps, but the fact that it's available for anyone who cares that much to download from the market kind of negates this whole argument.

Upvote 0
If you hate all of android so much then why the hell are you here?
@shizzy1427;285739: because he has an iphone just like me (2 iphones 3g and 3Gs)enviously to own an android device.(that's the reason he and I are in this forum)
Btw, I am selling my iphones to get the android smartphone (now I know why they called it smartphone,"multitasking and more) The Milestone aka Droid in canada has MT, yes, MT! coming anytime now.
I always wondered,would any iphone users buy a mac without multi-tasking and the new i-slate ( another glorified iphone) without all the capablities and functionality for that matter?
I must admit that we iphone users do live in a world of denial,just can't accept that there is a better product out there now.My gosh,it's only a phone for heaven sake! :thinking:

Upvote 0
Seriously, i just switched from an iphone, after using it for 2+ years and i would not go back. why come to an ANDROID forum and push your biased views on ANDROID users, there are plenty of iPhone forums for you to go and troll. I had all 3 versions of the iphone, and the N1 is a better phone. MT is there in dolphin, the only thing i find lacking is the copy and paste feature. all other facets of the N1 perform better in my opinion but i dont go to iphone forums and post this because no one there cares, just like we dont care you have a hard on for apple
Agree! I would have say the same thing.:D

Upvote 0
I have to say I completely disagree with you. Multitouch is nice, but you cannot compare it to multitasking. The lack of multitasking on the iphone is a killer for me. The fact that you had to wait with your SMS app open until AT&T's crappy network sent a text message through is just unacceptable. Having to close down websites and apps just to go read a quick e-mail made me want to throw my phone against a wall sometimes.

Pinch/Zoom is replaceable, the zoom buttons do a fine job, I actually think I like them better because zooming can be done easily with one hand. I don't miss multi touch on the keyboard either. Besides, I can usually just speak what I want to type anyway.
@ gibson6594:that's exactly the reason I am selling my 2 iphones,multi-tasking is important to me.Pinch/zoom,I only occasionally used on my pics and double taps that is what I found to be more useable for me and quicker.
Being said, after 1 year with the iphones I found it to be lacking in many area.The android smartphone is more computer like and also if not for the Jailbreak,(many people too,I guess) I would not have bought the iphones.
If not for the Android, I guess iphone will only be updating or should I say playing around with the # and alphabet with the same iphone.In 4 years the iphone only evolved with "3" and an "S".I sincerely hope they don't for next 4 years put another "4" and "S" and call it a update.
icon13.gif

Upvote 0
For the record, pinch to zoom and double-tap coexist on the iPhone. There would be no need for options to turn one or the other off.

This debate it ridiculous. Anyone arguing against multi-touch in native apps is an idiot. Feel free to believe you wouldn't use it (as unlikely as that is to be reality) but to prefer it to not be there would be just cutting off your nose to spite your face.
@JSchu22: but not multi-tasking? I have 2 iphones (3g and 3Gs) I occasionally used MT for my pics only and found double tapping more useful and quicker.(when I first got my iphone,I used it to show-off to my friends and that was about it)
The debate is not ridiculous,it's good to have MT but if I,I alone if given the choice between MT and multi-tasking,with a heartbeat I opt,everytime I will chose "Multi-tasking" over MT. Call me an idiot if you will.(I promised not to argue with an iphone user(fruitless) and this my opinion or experience and not an argument.
I have had an argument with an iphone user on droid forum a few weeks back (never again)about multi-tasking on the Droid and his reply to me was, Iphone don't see the need for multitasking (sour grape).Just like saying I would like to buy a mac or i-slate without multi-tasking and only MT will do.(don't see the need for it)
I will bet my bottom dollar that the next Iphone 4g,will have MULTI-TASKING!!
I think about a million andriod smartphones sold without MT and some of them switched from iphones.I hope they are not idiots too or cut off their noses to spite their faces on purpose. :thinking:

Upvote 0
off course completely different. that s not the point! you are missing the point. no one is arguing whether the two are the same.

the point is: a lot of android users are clamoring for MT; a lot of iphone users are clamoring for multitasking. lack of multitasking in the iphone has not hurt the iphone (and former iphone users who turned to N1: please dont say "oh lack of multitaskin in iphone was a deal breaker for me" if it was a deal breaker, why did u use iphones before android?) because most iphone users are average people, not geeks; the lack of multitouch in native android has hurt android phones in the u.s because up to this day, android remains a geeky phone that is mostly for geeks and techies.
when the iphone came out,I have no choice and there were no multi-tasking available then.

Upvote 0

Just to clear things up:
Android, the operating system, DOES support multitouch.
The native apps which come with most phones DON'T support multitouch.
Some popular third party apps out there make use of the multitouch which is supported by the android operating system.

Happy now? See, that wasn't so hard.

Also comparing multitouch and multitasking to each other is completely ridiculous in my opinion. It's like saying "Oh I prefer having a cone of vanilla ice cream over having a cat."

@Blio: what about the Droid aka Milestone in canada and does have MT? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I must admit that we iphone users do live in a world of denial,just can't accept that there is a better product out there now.My gosh,it's only a phone for heaven sake! :thinking:
Well, an Android product being better than an iPhone is a matter of opinion. It is not fact that there is a better product out there. Each are fantastic and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

But I do agree that it is ridiculous people take sides. If there is a phone that suits me better, I am going to buy it. I do not care about loyalty. You're only hurting yourself by being loyal to a phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones