• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

g power 2021 vs g pure

Justin Raney

Mar 8, 2021
Hello i was just about to purchase an unlocked motorola phone. WHich is better the g pure or g power 2021. Both im looking at are 32gb. Motorola told me the g pure was the basic cheapest option while the g power 2021 was faster upgraded option and had night vision camera.
The g pure comes with android 11 and the g power 2021 comes with android 10 i was told would upgrade to android 11 once opened bought and allowed android updates.

Can anyone confirm the g power 2021 32gb blue will indeed upgrade from android 10 to 11 once activated?

Both phones are GSM, CDMA, 4g LTE VoLTE phones compatible with t-mobile, sprint, att and boost mobile and other carriers.

Im going with redpocket mobile or a boost prepaid plan. Redpocket requires VoLTE 4g and GSMT gsm t mobile compatible phones as well as CDMA sprint compatible phones. This is BYOD bring your own device type of plan.

Can anyone tell me which phone is better if they've had experience with both and if the g power 2021 will auto update to android 11 and is for sure 4g LTE VoLTE GSM, CDMA networks tmobile, sprint, boost mobile compatible as well as other major service provider. Best buy assured me the phone would work with any monthly, prepaid and any service provider given both GSM, CDMA network compatibility.

In a head-to-head, hardware only comparison, I'd be leaning more towards the Moto G Power.
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/c...Power,Motorola-Moto-G-Pure/phones/11349,11826
Screen size roughly the same between the two but the Power is higher resolution, the camera module more capable, the cellular radio chip supports a wider number of bands/frequencies, and the battery is significantly higher capacity. Assuming from a software perspective both phones from Motorola and only a year's difference between them it will be pretty much a toss up as if one is any better than the other. And when it involves any added branded cruft and bloatware, Motorola is pretty good about keeping that to a minimum. The Settings menu will be essentially just straight Android. A drawback is Motorola has a pretty sad history of long-term support for its phones, and that's even worse for its lower and mid-range models. Buy a Moto phone because you want a good phone at a reasonable price, but when it comes to long-term support (monthly security updates and version upgrades) you should look elsewhere. Get a Pixel or Samsung. (regarding the upgrade from 10 to 11, that should not be something to worry about. But don't expect Motorola to announce there will be an upgrade to 12 or 13.)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
In a head-to-head, hardware only comparison, I'd be leaning more towards the Moto G Power.
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/c...Power,Motorola-Moto-G-Pure/phones/11349,11826
Screen size roughly the same between the two but the Power is higher resolution, the camera module more capable, the cellular radio chip supports a wider number of bands/frequencies, and the battery is significantly higher capacity. Assuming from a software perspective both phones from Motorola and only a year's difference between them it will be pretty much a toss up as if one is any better than the other. And when it involves any added branded cruft and bloatware, Motorola is pretty good about keeping that to a minimum. The Settings menu will be essentially just straight Android. A drawback is Motorola has a pretty sad history of long-term support for its phones, and that's even worse for its lower and mid-range models. Buy a Moto phone because you want a good phone at a reasonable price, but when it comes to long-term support (monthly security updates and version upgrades) you should look elsewhere. Get a Pixel or Samsung. (regarding the upgrade from 10 to 11, that should not be something to worry about. But don't expect Motorola to announce there will be an upgrade to 12 or 13.)

Yes i talked with samsung as well they stated the Samsung galaxy A13 was good for 4 years of updates to android 15 and was their cheapest option at 189$

I went with a g power 2021 4gb 64gb flash grey for 129.99$ from best buys black friday sale.
I bought it to replace my old qlinkwireless service and went with redpockets ebay 30$ 360 day repaid plan 200 minutes, 200mb, 1000 texts every month.
I have until the 18th to return the phone new in box to best buy if the g power 2021 isnt the correct option.

Redpocket till the 28th currently has a 60$ annual or yearly plan for black friday that will automatically renew every year 60$ for a monthly 500 minutes,500 texts, 500 mb but is twice as much as the 30$ redpocket plan i purchased from ebay.

Attachments

• 2022-11-10-12-44-45.jpg
    2022-11-10-12-44-45.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 2022-11-10-12-44-31.jpg
    2022-11-10-12-44-31.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 2022-11-10-12-44-17.jpg
    2022-11-10-12-44-17.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
Yes i got it because of the more bands compatible with all service providers.

Boost stated that there yearly 12 month prepaid plan for 100$ unlimited talk text 1gb data BYOD i was going to go with either the g pure or g power best buy assured me the g pure would work with boost mobile but motorola stated that it wasnt compatible and only the g power 2021 was.
I was thinking of getting one of the boost locked phones from walmart theyre hald as much the g pure is 50$ from walmart locked to boost vs the 129$ shelf price unlocked and tcl20xe 40$ with the 100$ yearly plan. Boost also told me that after 12 months or the 1 year plan was up they could unlock the cheaper priced boost prepaid phone i had purchased.

Motorola told me their off the shelf g pure wasnt boost compatible and had to go directly to a boost store or website. Im not sure if certain locked phones are only equipped with certain bands for that carrier.
Boost also told me if my phone wasnt boost compatible or cdma whichever the g power 2021 reads but was t mobile compatible that to they had a white simcard that operates of tmobiles gsm network they could send me vs the boost black sim card.

However i did already purchase the 140$ with tax best buy g power and 30$ yearly redpocket plan 200 minutes, 200 mb, 1000 texts per month but i have until the 18th to return the new phone to best buy and purchase the 40-50$ boost prepaid g pure tcl20xe off the sehlf from walmart and the 100$ yearly prepaid byod boost plan.

Im not sure which is a better idea the boost service would cost the same 140$-150$ as the g power 2021 alone from best buy but have 1gb data unlimited talk text.
If anyone thinks returning the g power 2021 for 140$ and redpocket 30$ ebay phone plan in favor of boost prepaid phone and 100$ yearly plan?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones