• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy from Walmart - then cancel plan?

mgh2454

Lurker
Sep 5, 2012
So I see over at cnet news that Walmart is offering the 2S with no contract. I have a pay-as-you-go sim card already, so I want to buy the phone, cancel the plan and pop in my sim card.

Does the phone have to be unlocked for me to do this? Any other complications?

I need a new phone, am using an iphone 3GS I bought used that has been a real POS.

Thanks for any help.

If you have the same carrier as the one offered in Walmart - you should be able to just swap the sims. Pay as you go you dont even have to cancel your account since you pay as you use your phone - at least that is how I understand it but I have never used the service sooo do not quote me on the account issue.

If lets say the S2 is on Timobile pay as you go and you are already on the network you just swap the sims. If it is on different carrier what you need to do is take a look if the phone is branded ---- does it have a carrier logo on the phone. If it does that means it needs an unlock - if it does not generally you do not need an unlock code (this is as a general rule). I personally am too familiar with Tmobile or AT&T or any other carriers but since you are dishing out the money the phone should be unlocked (that is according to me which is not worth a penny).

Upvote 0
So I see over at cnet news that Walmart is offering the 2S with no contract. I have a pay-as-you-go sim card already, so I want to buy the phone, cancel the plan and pop in my sim card.

Does the phone have to be unlocked for me to do this? Any other complications?

I need a new phone, am using an iphone 3GS I bought used that has been a real POS.

Thanks for any help.

Hi mgh. Welcome to the forums. :wavey:

The phone doesn't have to be unlocked as long as the pay-as-you-go sim you have is T-Mobile. That's a great price for the S2. Its about what used ones are selling for. The $30 a month plan with it is good too unless you need more than 100 minutes talk. Its the plan I have.

I would check the fine print first and make sure there aren't any drawbacks to cancelling immediately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones