• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Note 2 master Accessories List

Should have done this from the beginning but, I thought $50 was too much for a case. I've been through the Speck ($35) and Cellairis ($20) brands for my Note II in 2 days and now I'm completely sold on the Otterbox Commuter. Photos in the link below of all 3; https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BwrNZhNSJgDMSC0weUQyTE9XelU/edit

I would have been really happy with the Speck but: 1. the black back is extremely sensitive to any scratches and 2 its a fingerprint magnet. The Cellairis is just too thin to be of any protection other than 1 to 2 foot drop by my estimation. The Commuter makes the Note II thicker but, nothing noticable on the sides as compared to the Speck.

I wonder how the Commuter compares in size to the Defender ..... I would want the case to still be usable with my iBolt car dock when it comes (2 weeks!). It says in the link below that it can hold phones up to the size of the GN2 and the Defender case.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AOCSFYC/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1

Upvote 0
I wonder how the Commuter compares in size to the Defender ..... I would want the case to still be usable with my iBolt car dock when it comes (2 weeks!). It says in the link below that it can hold phones up to the size of the GN2 and the Defender case.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AOCSFYC/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1

Not sure what the difference in size would be. I didnt look at the Defender as a belt clip wasn't needed.

Upvote 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsPFLcpOFUs

this video will show you the differences between No case, Commuter and defender.

The defender is larger and definitely thicker.

I'm curious as to how well the Commuter protects the front of the screen. I just would like to know the thickness of the rubber that protrudes from the screen to protect it in the event of an impact. I know that the Defender is built like a tank but it just seems like overkill (and definitely is thick).

And had anybody found it (Commuter) cheaper than $35 online including shipping? Be careful, a lot of cases say they are for other phones but still come up in Google Shopping results?

Upvote 0
Wow 1/8" is pretty slim (3.175 mm). Do you feel its adequate protection for that investment in addition to the screen protector?

Well to be honest the lip could be 1/2" off the front of the phone and its still not guaranteed to protect the screen. I hate when reviews say that the lip protects the phone if dropped face down because it really doesn't protect anything. All the lip protects against it setting your phone face down on the table, not dropping it face down. All it takes is dropping it on anything slightly bigger than the lip and bye bye screen. In a perfect world everything would be level but we don't live in that world so even an uneven surface could cause issues if your phone is dropped face down on it.

Now with that said, the defender and commuter have probably the biggest lip than any other case available for the Note 2, so if you believe a lip will actually protect from face down drops, or if you want ultimate protection setting your phone face down on a table, one of the otterbox cases would be the way to go.

Upvote 0
I am usually not picky about cases with phones. The belkin snap case and the book cases are ok but i would stay away. The reason being you can wash your hands 10 times a day and the inside of case will stain no matter what. I am with verizon but went to at&t and bought a case mate with a kickstand. Loving this case it had rubber on the sides for grip and kickstand is great so far. Price was a little much imo 50 bucks but i am happy.

Upvote 0
Wow 1/8" is pretty slim (3.175 mm). Do you feel its adequate protection for that investment in addition to the screen protector?

I'd say its the best protection I've seen out of the 3 cases ive tried and all the others I viewed. If I thought I needed more the Defender would be the next best option. The fit couldn't get much better imho.

The Commuter came with a screen protector. I already had another brand from day one. When needed I'll replace it with the Otterbox screen.

Edit: just used a tape to confirm and from the face of the screen to the top of the lip it is 1/8". Also, when looking at the screen the measurement from the edges of the lip to the outside of the case is 3/16".

Upvote 0
Instead of worrying about how your phone will fare in the event of a drop why not focus your protection on preventing drops in the first place.. I have a Kevlar corded retractable tether on mine that has saved my phone countless times from drops. Have never once dropped my phone using it. Most of the instances were getting up with the phone in my lap. For women it's that and falling out if their bags when rummaging for something quickly. In both cases if the phone was tethered to the pants or purse it would never hit the ground.

Upvote 0
Instead of worrying about how your phone will fare in the event of a drop why not focus your protection on preventing drops in the first place.. I have a Kevlar corded retractable tether on mine that has saved my phone countless times from drops. Have never once dropped my phone using it. Most of the instances were getting up with the phone in my lap. For women it's that and falling out if their bags when rummaging for something quickly. In both cases if the phone was tethered to the pants or purse it would never hit the ground.

In the 3 years I've had a smartphone I've never dropped any of my phones (Knock on silicon). :) This is the first time I've owned a top-of-the-line unit and it deserves the protection of a well made case.

Upvote 0
Ghost Armour screen protector is fantastic. The fit goes to about 1mm from the edges when fitted correctly. The 'feel' is better than Zagg on my better-halves SIIx. $15. Recommended.

They also had coloured carbon fibre body wraps and claimed it would protect equally to my Otter Commuter; I disagreed. The back is 1 piece but they had 6 pieces for the sides. The is no way it would do anything but save the device from scratches. $35. Not Recommended.

Upvote 0
Ghost Armour screen protector is fantastic. The fit goes to about 1mm from the edges when fitted correctly. The 'feel' is better than Zagg on my better-halves SIIx. $15. Recommended.

They also had coloured carbon fibre body wraps and claimed it would protect equally to my Otter Commuter; I disagreed. The back is 1 piece but they had 6 pieces for the sides. The is no way it would do anything but save the device from scratches. $35. Not Recommended.

I thought about using some kind of wrap to keep from scratching it. I worry that the chrome (or plastic coated to look like chrome) part could become discolored by the wrap over time. Does anyone have any experience with them long term?

Upvote 0
For those of you looking for a high quality leather wallet case, I highly recommend the D5 cases made by SLG Design. They are made in Korea and I was only able to find this English site that sells them. The case is really nice quality, beautiful, supple leather, and it fits the phone perfectly. Just a really nice case, and I'm glad I ordered it. Did take about a week and a half to arrive, but I think worth the price and the wait. The shop owner was great to deal with, very good communication via email.

http://www.zoarah.com/slg-design-calfskin-leather-flip-cover-for-galaxy-note-2.html

There are also a lot of other high quality Note 2 cases in his shop. Here are some pics, sorry they aren't the best.

tumeda5e.jpg

4a8a6a4u.jpg

a2e9atyz.jpg

Sent from my Note 2

Upvote 0
For those of you looking for a high quality leather wallet case, I highly recommend the D5 cases made by SLG Design. They are made in Korea and I was only able to find this English site that sells them. The case is really nice quality, beautiful, supple leather, and it fits the phone perfectly. Just a really nice case, and I'm glad I ordered it. Did take about a week and a half to arrive, but I think worth the price and the wait. The shop owner was great to deal with, very good communication via email.

SLG Design Calfskin Leather Flip Cover for Galaxy Note 2

There are also a lot of other high quality Note 2 cases in his shop. Here are some pics, sorry they aren't the best.

Sent from my Note 2

Wat kind of screen protector you have on your phone? I like it......:)

Upvote 0
Decided that I didn't want to wait until Samsung gets back in stock, so I used my Best Buy Rewards Certificate and picked up the Smart Dock from Bestbuy.com. Total ended up being 70+, but didn't want to chance it getting sold out there also. They must have recently added it on their website because it definitely hasn't been there before.

Hey, drexappeal, how you liking that Smart Dock? Anyone else able to get one? Question: Can the SGS3 also be charged on it?

Upvote 0
Hey, drexappeal, how you liking that Smart Dock? Anyone else able to get one? Question: Can the SGS3 also be charged on it?

Haven't gotten a chance to use it. The only extra HDMI cable I had laying around was no longer working, so I have to wait until I get another (probably this weekend). Was gonna order from monoprice, but they're based in LA, so there are a few local places I can find it just as cheap. I really don't know if it'll work with the GS3.

I'm definitely planning on fully setting it up and messing around with it this weekend. I'll keep you all posted.

btw, I bought it through Best Buy using some certificates I had, but looks like they're sold out also.

Reactions: badankles
Upvote 0
Haven't gotten a chance to use it. The only extra HDMI cable I had laying around was no longer working, so I have to wait until I get another (probably this weekend). Was gonna order from monoprice, but they're based in LA, so there are a few local places I can find it just as cheap. I really don't know if it'll work with the GS3.

I'm definitely planning on fully setting it up and messing around with it this weekend. I'll keep you all posted.

btw, I bought it through Best Buy using some certificates I had, but looks like they're sold out also.

I use mine all of the time. It's awesome! Sometimes there is lag but I'll say that 85% of it can be eliminated by a cache/dalvik/RAM clear + restart.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones