• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) Screen Replacement

I have a US T-Mobile SGH T989 with a cracked screen. I have looked on eBay, and noticed that replacement screens for this variant are rather expensive, but Sprint's SPH-D710 seems to have the same screen specs (size, 4 buttons, etc), and the screen's are much better priced.

Can I do this? Or I might have issues?

Are the ribbon connections in the same places? I know the processor is different on the Sprint version.....

Thanks in advance!!

After many years of experience iin the business, I'll give you the same advice I give everyone who's thinking of doing his own screen replacement - DON'T!

It may look as if you'll save a lot of money, but you'll probably break a connector clip, or some component you didn't notice (or even a connector pin), which will cost you more money to fix. When you're fixing that you'll probably break something else. If you ever do reach a final "fix without breaking something, you'll probably have spent more than the phone is worth.

And if you give up at some point and bring it to a repair shop, they'll take one look at what you've done and refuse to work on the phone.

It's a lot cheaper in the long run to just pay for a screen repair. (It takes an untrained person more than a few tries with "parts phones" to get it right.)

Upvote 0
Rukbat,

Thank you for the reply. Your points are well taken.

However, I have experience replacing screens, etc on my past smartphones, laptops, and other devices that involve fine electronics. Thus I'm fairly confident in my ability to be very careful and gently with connectors, ribbon wires, and the like. (One can never be overconfident, I know....)

In this case, I feel I'm up to make this repair, and am just wondering about part compatibility.

Would you know?

Come on guys, someone here gotta know something!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones