• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 contant no service flickering

Sygun

Lurker
Jun 19, 2013
Hello chaps,

I have had an S3 for just over a year now, within 2 months of having it I began to have issues. (3 other family members have one and have never had any issues).

The primary issue I'm having is that the signal service keeps dropping in and out. It is very regular as in 3 seconds signal about 7 seconds without, over and over and over.

If I make a call during that 3 sec window then I can talk away for hours and it not drop out.

The second issue is that within 2 weeks the memory becomes full to the extent the device will either no longer boot up or the OS keeps crashing with various errors. I attribute this to some kind of error log getting larger and larger in size as it wasn't doing this previously. I can resolve this by reformatting and then the space is free again.

Details:
Samsung Galaxy S3 - never been rooted.
Vodafone UK network (contract not PAYG)
Signal quality is generally full in my area

I have tried all sorts of things to sort this out, all settings look normal and compare to similar devices. The SIM has been swapped, device reset to defaults, network changed bank and forth network settings have been reset etc. Sent back the device to Vodafone who's tech support claim water damage based on the detector paper changing colour. Now I am dubious about this being the cause of the fault - but won't write it entirely off.

My main concern with it being water damage is that if a part was faulty (antenna etc) then surely the device would not allow indefinite calls to made when done so during the signal window and the exact to the second "pulsing" of signal is strange. The device has also never been in contact with any large amount of water so at best we are talking humidity. The rest of the phone works fine, camera, screen, memory etc.

As Vodafone has refused to support this fault (and I assume Samsung will too based on the tape) it's fallen to me to fix it, with the help of you guys of course.

Now that warranty isn't an issue I'm prepared to try anything to fix this.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones