• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Tab Ever Recieve More Then 2.2

zackman2091

Mar 21, 2010
Ok after seeing that the galaxy tab is 200 on contract that gives me a whole lot of thinking to do. I dont know what to do while trying to choose a tablet. I have the Evo but want a tablet i REALLY want the htc flyer (htc Evo View?) but who knows when the hell that will come out and cant wait onless it was comming out this month. The Xoom is going to be nice but i dont really have the money to spend 600 dollars (would more then likly get it tho if sams club rumor price is right)

The main thing that would change my mind on the xoom or waitin on the HTC tablet is if the galaxy tab is going to get anything more then 2.2. I know that samsung is pretty bad compared to Motorola and htc Due to the fact that the Orginal droid got 2.2 the other day and the epic 4g just got it not even a month n a half ago

So question is will it ever get gingerbread and or honeycomb (sorry for the paragraphs but just so impatient with trying to make a decision, almost thought about ipad 2 even though i HATE APPLE)

You're pretty much in the same boat I was. I really wanted a tablet, and preferably a smaller (7 inch) one. The xoom was too heavy to be really mobile, so despite having less under the hood, I went with the SGT. At first I was a little remorseful, especially because of the likely lack of software updates (no 3.0, months away likely from 2.3/2.4). However, time and time again, the size of the SGT helps me feel better about the purchase. It's just so damn easy to handle, and when I really think about it, I can do everything on the SGT that I would do on a xoom/honeycomb tablet outside of intense gaming. I can watch youtube videos, I can browse the web, I can listen to slacker/grooveshark/etc..., I can take pictures and video, and so on. Unlike the Xoom, however, I can carry the SGT around a lot more and get great battery life too. There's even something the tab is BETTER at than a honeycomb tablet--serving as an e-reader. Kindle on the Galaxy time is damn near perfect. Another big worry of mine was the because I already have an Evo, I don't need a tab because it can do all the same stuff. It took me a while to realize that while they do in fact have the same capabilities, the SGT just plain does them better because of the screen size. I take notes for work on the Tab...I would never do that on the Evo. I used to use the Evo for navigation, but now its a much more pleasant experience on the tab. And here's an added bonus--becuase I'm doing less on my Evo throughout the day, I'm getting better battery life. So in that respect, its a win-win.

Upvote 0
Thanks thats was alot of great information and i would agree that is what i could see myself doing (taking notes and alot of calendar/emailing)

But as of now the biggest concern is upgrading i dont want to buy a tablet that is on the back burners and almost out of date but the price is so great on verizon......i dont have verizon (gf does might have to work somethin out)

Upvote 0
Thanks thats was alot of great information and i would agree that is what i could see myself doing (taking notes and alot of calendar/emailing)

But as of now the biggest concern is upgrading i dont want to buy a tablet that is on the back burners and almost out of date but the price is so great on verizon......i dont have verizon (gf does might have to work somethin out)

If tab 1 is capable of doing everything you want now, go for it. Tab 1 will be getting gingerbread, not sure about honeycomb. I've been on alot of forums and gingerbread seems to be here about Q2. As with honeycomb, if we end up not getting the official update you can almost gaurantee there will be an unofficial update. As a matter of fact there already is an unofficial update of gingerbread but because its in beta right now, its not really widespread. I've heard of person loading honeycomb on a kindle. The tab is not "out of date", its not even close to a year since its been out. Out of date would be like buying a nintendo instead of a wii. If your reason for not buying something is because something newer is coming out, then your never going to be satisfied. New tech toys will always be released, just like computers. You'll only have the newest model for so long.

Upvote 0
After seeing how slow Samsung has been on the Galaxy S phones in the US, i doubt the tab will see anything with other than it was shipped officially. Going to have to go XDA route etc to get a different rom, just how I think it's going to pan out. Pretty disappointed in Samsung, I'll definitely pause ever buying a device from them again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones