• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gallery syncs picasa albums despite all settings disabled

twiglety

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Hi, could someone please help :-( I swear I am about to throw my new Nexus 7 2013 out of the window!

On adding a Google account, Picasa albums are brought all into the Gallery.

1. Gallery App account settings shows Google photos sync is OFF for the account
2. Settings -> Account only shows Gmail sync enabled for the account. Sync Photos is disabled. Sync Picasa Web albums option is not present.
3. I have cleared gallery's data and cache in the Settings -> Apps for the gallery.

As soon as I add a google account to my tablet (even if sync for every item is configured off, all boxes unticked), its photos and all albums appear in the gallery.

As soon as I add any photos to the google account, they also appear in the gallery, even though Photos sync is disabled in the account (Settings -> Accounts).

This is the case on both my devices: Nexus 4 phone and Nexus 7 2013 tablet.

The only thing that seems to remove Picasa pictures from gallery is deleting them via Google + Photos or the Picasa (online), deleting the actual google account from the tablet.

I am so frustrated :-(
Does anyone have any answers to this?

You do have to delete them from Picasa on the PC to be sure, but they also reside as cache on your phone. Under pictures>cache on the Nexus 4. Then com.google.android.googleph>Picasa cache. On an older phone I found them under images.

I have cleared Gallery cache.
What do you mean by pictures>cache? I don't seem to be able to find it.

How do I access com.google.android.googleph>Picasa cache? I don't have this in Settings>Apps>All.

I just created a brand new google account. Added a couple of pictures to it. Added the account to a device with ALL sync options turned off. Yet, the pictures appeared in Gallery.

Upvote 0
Do you have ES or another file explorer?
That gives you all the folders on the phone.

There is a folder on the Nexus 4 called pictures. In that folder is another folder called pictures cache. That's where Picasa sticks the thumbnails.
The pictures are automatically synced as thumbnails by Picasa whether you tell it to or not.

I had some on a Nexus S. I had cleaned out Picasa, so there was nothing there but the pix were still on the phone.
I had to hunt but finally found it. You do need a file explorer. It was almost in the same place in the S as on the 4.

Every phone maker does things slightly differently. Otherwise one brand would be just like the other.

Ask in another post how and why to use a file explorer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones