• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gameservice needs update

camphill

Jul 9, 2010
Two days ago a notification appeared that Gameservice is updated. If I tap it it opens the Galaxy App store and can't connect to network.

I don't play games, did nothing to have caused thus and it reappears after every reboot.

Any ideas what this is about?

I have the same issue I just upgraded from a Galaxy S6 and I have GameTools & Game Launcher off. In fact it has never been on. I took the phone out of the box and did a transfer of content by charging cable two days ago. I don't care about games etc enable or not but updating same file every day is nuts and there hardly any information online about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have had my S7 since ~April, but the daily (sometimes multiple times/day) update of GameService only started ~one week ago. I have now force stopped the app, but others experience suggests this will do nothing. I could also turn off the notifications, which might make the updates less annoying, but that doesn't change the invasive nature of these updates.
I did not have/play any games UNTIL ~one week ago, I installed the 'free' GearVR that finally arrived. I downloaded the free apps (system and yes, games). I tried the Gear long enough to realize it would not work for me because I have very very different vision corrections required for my 2 eyes (no contacts). I have not touched it since ... but I wonder if all the Oculus Gear software installed/enabled that GameService app? I guess I could try disabling or removing all that Oculus stuff (but I'd rather not try).

Upvote 0
Go to application manager. Then to Samsung push services and click on notifications. Enable "Hide on lock screen". Did this 3 days ago and no more notification
Thanks, display1214. I've also turned off Previews in pop-ups. I guess this suggests that some software updates from Samsung are pushed to our devices without asking us (this was just a notification, not a request to download if we wanted). The only Samsung app I use is My Files.

Upvote 0
That is NOT what most people here are asking. ;) They & myself want it disabled. GONE!
When I got to Application Manager/more/show system apps/game service or game tools
both disable & force stop are greyed out. Same thing happens when I go to Notifications/more/show system apps/game service or game tools.

I don't play games and I want this stopped, not running in background!
Maybe the gear VR could be behind this too? I I use that, but not to play games.

Upvote 0
Went to the local Verizon office and no one there knew how to disable this condition. They think it is harmless and does not put any drain on the battery. It is still an annoyance.
Very annoying when it pops up on your screen when you turn on your phone.
Thing is, it didn't start doing that until last week after the last update... and I've had this phone three months now. So why did it start now???

Upvote 0
I too have this problem. Tried uninstalling update, and force stop, and still may not disable nor get rid of this notification. I also do not play Samsung Games. I've also pressed on the notice and declined, and still get more notifications of updates for something I have not granted permission too. Once you decline you may not get to the Samsung Play Store to update the app you are not using. Which is supposed to stop these notices but then its still running and doing who knows what to our devices. Samsung are you listening. I wouldn't recommend and S7 unless I hate you. Was great before the last update. Flaming balls of fire are being sent Samsungs way. Hopefully someone on the other side of the world has their ears burning.

Upvote 0
I thought I had shut off every notification possible - yet today it was BACK AGAIN!
I thought I did too. Spent a week searching for solutions online and here, spent time in "application & notifications" all the way into system apps and no joy. Finally did a Factory reset two days ago and the problem went away... for now. I still would like to know what the heck that is and why it was there and can't be removed???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones