• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GAOSP Froyo Nightly Builds

Guide needs an update in step 3.

I copied the 2 .zip files to the internal storage:
gapps-gaosp-light-31032011-signed.zip
GAOSP-2-PUBLIC-BETA-3.zip
and
RECTOOLS.tar.gz

I installed android-sdk-windows and copied
recovery-6.5.1.img
to the /tools

I did the fastboot and got a dll error. So I found out that adb was moved to a new folder /platform-tools, so I copied it over to /tools with the dll file
adb_has_moved.txt
AdbWinApi.dll
AdbWinUsbApi.dll
adb.exe

Question: Where does galaxyupdater come into play? I assume the guide is rooting my phone and i have the option of finishing it or using the updater?

When using this method, rooting is synonym of installing the custom recovery (the special mode when you hold specific keys to boot into recovery mode). In that new menu, you can "apply" updates, aka ROMs. As soon as you are rooted (have the recovery), you could use the application, but you decide if it is worth it or not.

Reactions: Turds
Upvote 0
So no multitouch even after froyo?

Noob Q:
The browser sure is hard to read, the text is so small. With no multi-touch how do you guys control the zoom size?

Sorry to say but after 1 day of use, iPhone really outperforms this phone. For a used $100-150 3g with free unlocking software and jailbreak, you get a lot of performance. I am not a fan of apple but I did give IOS a chance and it seems to be much smoother.

Why do you guys choose the galaxy over apple, is there a feature that I missed?

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone of us chose between the iP3G and the Galaxy i7500 .. i7500 was Samsung's first Android phone, it was practically a beta device, support from Samsung was dropped rather soon. It's a phone for people who like to fidlle with settings, tweak and squeeze every bit of performance from outdated hardware. If you want a usable phone out of the box with a polished system, sure, buy the iPhone.

Upvote 0
The iPhone 2g was the 1st gen but you can do the same as we did here updating and unlocking it. It seems to have much more cpu horsepower than the galaxy. You can add multitasking and bluetooth with some hacks. The thing that makes quite a difference is the multi-touch, that makes mobile browsing somewhat tolerable. The drawback with the iPhone is limited storage memory.

I put Beautiful Widgets live wallpaper onto the android and it looks cool now. Voice activated GPS, sweet. Chrome to Phone. Too bad about multitouch though, maybe one day :)

Upvote 0
I've been searching for info on how to get the galaxy to sync with NPS. After installing Froyo 2.2.1, NPS doesnt recognize my phone model. Other people that had sync troubles had driver issues and one just needed to reboot his phone. Neither of those is my problem.

I want to do the Outlook Sync in NPS. Does NPS recognize your guys' phone model and can you do the Outlook Sync (need to add it by clicking Widget Settings at the bottom of NPS)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones