• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Get rid of files you don't want showing up in the stock music player

So I installed a game from gameloft (Let's golf, great graphics btw)

Anyway I notice a bunch of sounds files were showing up in my music player I didn't want. Very annoying. I searched around here and didn't really find that much help. After some further searching around the net the easiest way I could find was as follows:

1. Open up notepad, don't type anything just go to file, save as. Change the drop down box for Save as type: select all files. Under file name simply type ".nomedia" without quotes.

2. Connect your phone to your computer, locate where the sound files you don't want are. In the same folder as where all the files are, drag the .nomedia file you made to that folder. Disconnect the phone

3. Reboot your phone, once booted open up the music player (you might still see the files there since it's cached) Go to the all songs tab, select a song. This will refresh the cache and you should no longer see any annoying files in your widget or playlist.

Before this I had to make a custom playlist and select that but everytime I rebooted I would have to select the playlist again plus if you add new songs you would have to go into the playlist.

Also if you don't know where the annoying files are, you should be able to hold down on it in the music application and go to details. This will show u where the files are located.

So I hope this helps some people as this has been bothering me for days so hopefully you don't have to search around as much as I had to. :cool:

i must have did something wrong i used astro.... i went to the the lets golf game...and created a folder called .nomedia where all the music files were and put them in there....they didnt show in my music list anymore but when i went to play the game i had to redownload the music and it put it exactly where i moved it from ...so i have the music files for the game in .nomedia and then the game put them also back where they were......did i do something wrong ?????????

Upvote 0
i must have did something wrong i used astro.... i went to the the lets golf game...and created a folder called .nomedia where all the music files were and put them in there....they didnt show in my music list anymore but when i went to play the game i had to redownload the music and it put it exactly where i moved it from ...so i have the music files for the game in .nomedia and then the game put them also back where they were......did i do something wrong ?????????

You only need an empty folder .nomedia in the same directory where the unwanted media is. Do not move anything into the folder, in this case you can delete the files in the .nomedia folder

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones