• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

getting rid of piggy-back apps

bwallard

Lurker
Feb 19, 2013
I have a S2 phone 4.1.2.

I recently installed an app that installed two other apps that I don't want: ask.com mail, and Heroes of Dragon Age. Neither show up in Applications Manager. I feel that ask.com should be scourged from Earth. This isn't the first time I've been hijacked by them. And there is not a chance I'm going to give HDA any permission at all.

I uninstalled the application that I think let these weasels in. But there they are still.

This infection rankles me fiercely so I installed AppManager lll and AddonsDetector.

Neither vermin show up as installed.

I want them off.

How do I do this? Phone is not rooted.

Thanks for reading. Hope you can help.

The app you installed more than likely had "Create shortcuts" in the permissions and is ad-supported. They won't appear as installed apps because they are ad icons on home screen, they're not installed apps. Should be able to delete them by holding down on them and moving to trash.

Google has recently banned this kind of thing from the Play Store.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones