• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root giantpune's custom kernel

True but had any of you tried gta 3 couple hundred extra mhz maybe I can play smooth lol how do I edit the kernel itself to add higher values?

GTA3 isn't meant to run on that phone. I know so. 1.6ghz or 1.9ghz won't matter. My HTC Evo V 4G runs at 12ghz on the stock kernel and runs GTA3 with no lag at all. This phones a dual core tho. Has a better chip, anderything. It isn't the kernel dude, it's the hardware of the phone. That's like trying to say xbox360 games will work on a Ps3 just because it's jail broken with Homebrew apps. Funny thing is about the Evo V tho you cant get GTA3 on the Market. It won't even let you search it. I had to find it on Google or black market to play it. And it's even an outdated less supported version. I need to put this in caps also so everyone reads it since we've stated at least 5 times now... THE LG OPTIMUS ELITE SHOULD NOT BE OVERCLOCKED ANY HIGHER THEN 1.6GHZ BECAUSE IT IS NOT STABLE TO GO ANY HIGHER AND YOU WILL MOST LIKELY DAMAGE IT PERMANENTLY. So be smart and let it be. Appreciate giant pine for what he gave you. Don't bug him for more. Ask nicely and if he says no. (Like he's already said no 109 times before to a lot of other ppl in this thread and others) then let it be because it won't happen. And again. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME TRYING TO BREAK YOUR PHONE BY OVERCLOCKING TO 1.9GHZ.

Upvote 0
GTA3 isn't meant to run on that phone. I know so. 1.6ghz or 1.9ghz won't matter. My HTC Evo V 4G runs at 12ghz on the stock kernel and runs GTA3 with no lag at all. This phones a dual core tho. Has a better chip, anderything. It isn't the kernel dude, it's the hardware of the phone. That's like trying to say xbox360 games will work on a Ps3 just because it's jail broken with Homebrew apps. Funny thing is about the Evo V tho you cant get GTA3 on the Market. It won't even let you search it. I had to find it on Google or black market to play it. And it's even an outdated less supported version. I need to put this in caps also so everyone reads it since we've stated at least 5 times now... THE LG OPTIMUS ELITE SHOULD NOT BE OVERCLOCKED ANY HIGHER THEN 1.6GHZ BECAUSE IT IS NOT STABLE TO GO ANY HIGHER AND YOU WILL MOST LIKELY DAMAGE IT PERMANENTLY. So be smart and let it be. Appreciate giant pine for what he gave you. Don't bug him for more. Ask nicely and if he says no. (Like he's already said no 109 times before to a lot of other ppl in this thread and others) then let it be because it won't happen. And again. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME TRYING TO BREAK YOUR PHONE BY OVERCLOCKING TO 1.9GHZ.

Exactly :)

Upvote 0
Just being devils advocate here, but nobody has actually tried running this phone past 1.6GHz, and giantpune never actually said what the most stable speed was for the phone. So really, speculation aside, we don't know what will happen.

Because some OEs already can't handle 1.6GHz, it's pretty safe to say going any higher is going to give all of the other OEs the same result - massive instability.

Upvote 0
I don't disagree that 1.6 could very well be the fastest this phone can go and remain stable. Having said that, it's still speculative to say what will happen past 1.6GHz. It could be argued that the few unstable Elites at that speed were outliers and unrepresentative of the vast majority of phones. It could even be argued that the instability came from other modifications or running apps or any number of combinations.

The proper way to find the fastest stable overclock is to push it up to where it's definitely unstable, lets say to 2GHz, and then bring it down a step at a time until it becomes stable. The whole point of overclocking is pushing the hardware to the edge of it's performance capability. I'm against putting arbitrary limits on what people can do with their phones, that's why I rooted in the first place. I just wish i could get a kernel to rebuild properly using cygwin so I could try it myself. The worst case scenario is the phone bursts into flames and everybody dies a horrible melting death.

Upvote 0
THE GIANTPUNE HAS SPOKEN.
HE HAS SAID NO.
THAT MEANS HE ISN'T EVER EVER EVER GOING TO DO IT.
HE ALSO SAID TO ***NOT*** TALK ABOUT OVERCLOCKING IT PAST THAT AT ALL IN THIS THREAD SO PLEASE DISCONTINUE YOUR CONVERSATIONS AND MOVE THE DISCUSSION TO PRIVATE MESSAGE OR A ***NEW THREAD***

Perhaps making this look important will cause ppl to actually read it.

Upvote 0
For the Heck of it I ran a benchmark, using the 10 26 kernel, some modifications and "a rom I may or may not be working on"

reveta4e.jpg

sa2edu8u.jpg

yqe5e3ab.jpg

Sorry for all the pix

I re ran the tests with the 12 05 kernel and got lower scores on both antutu and quadrant. 5222 antutu and 2704 quadrant. Same mods, same cpu settings.

Upvote 0
Figured I'd post this here as well: basically, I've been able to modify the kernel to support init.d, and it's working well so far. The link to it is here. MD5: cbb610780d3de104610aaf3a5d2b7c76

If you're on Sleipnir (specifically, though this may be the case with other ROMs), be warned that you'll be kicked into Safe Mode if you use the modified kernel. This is due to the init.d scripts included, and I'm weeding out the culprits of this. The kernel itself appears to function properly, however. For the same reason, the link above is to the boot.img standalone, instead of being flashable.

Reactions: Dark One
Upvote 0
Okay so I have a problem. I am new to the game so please bear with me. I just installed CM9 and updated the phone to ICS. I would really like to increase the 1 ghz! :)
I tried the suggested method of downloading giantpune's 9/26/2012 custom kernel boot.img (Virgin Mobile ZV5: Added overclocking)
Download giantpune-bootimg-20120926.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
(md5: 04e6ef211a7bf72afc88129e6f6e43fc)

However, when I did that my phone went completely blacked (thank god I backed it up xD). So could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and over me some guidance? :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones