• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread (aka Android 2.3) on Evo!

Are you excited for Gingerbread?!?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i'm still curious to see battery life on a device running 1.5Ghz and above processors. you think people are complaining about battery life now...

unless either A) chips are made to consume less power or B) battery tech is improved, there won't be much releasing within the next 6 months that's gonna have us wanting it. just my $.02

i can tell you now, B is prob not gonna happen anytime soon.

It's going to be A. The EVO isn't already the best chip set power-wise available today. What'll be available come June next near will be 1.5GHz or more, and use less power to do it.

Upvote 0
heres my problem.

We are gonna get Gingerbread 3.0 but be bare minimum on the specs for it.

So it will run like Windows Vista does on slow laptops/desktops...and be useless. It will end up laggy and slow. Everyone than complains about how bad it is, when in reality, they set the 'minimum recommened' specs to low so more phones could use it.

Upvote 0
....Google is planning a major user interface overhaul for Gingerbread to reduce the need for third-party user interface customizations, such as HTC's Sense user experience

Question:
One drawback from the Android OS for current models is that we have to wait for manufacturers to released their version(if ever) and UI for their phone models, so there are different flavors of android out there in the wild. Now to the question...Do you think this will help make it possible for the standardization of the Android platform so we can download the updates directly from Google and no longer having to rely on manufacturers?
It would be nice to get a 1ghz phone now and just update from Google rather than wait for HTC, Samsung, Dell, or whatever, since some may never even make an update to 3.0. Any opinions on this?

Upvote 0
Question:
One drawback from the Android OS for current models is that we have to wait for manufacturers to released their version(if ever) and UI for their phone models, so there are different flavors of android out there in the wild. Now to the question...Do you think this will help make it possible for the standardization of the Android platform so we can download the updates directly from Google and no longer having to rely on manufacturers?
It would be nice to get a 1ghz phone now and just update from Google rather than wait for HTC, Samsung, Dell, or whatever, since some may never even make an update to 3.0. Any opinions on this?

unfortunately, no, unless you want to root, you are stuck waiting for HTC to release their Sense UI on top of a new Android OS. =/

Upvote 0
I don't think the Evo will see 3.0. They are saying that Gingerbread won't be released until the 4Q and that is considering that there are no set backs that push it further out. Then for HTC to release 3.0 with their Sense additions will take another 3-6 months. HTC is also being rumored to be one of the first handset makers releasing the new dual-core chips in phones and this will be where they put their focus.

Upvote 0
I don't think the Evo will see 3.0. They are saying that Gingerbread won't be released until the 4Q and that is considering that there are no set backs that push it further out. Then for HTC to release 3.0 with their Sense additions will take another 3-6 months. HTC is also being rumored to be one of the first handset makers releasing the new dual-core chips in phones and this will be where they put their focus.

I read that one of the changes in Gingerbread is that it will disable customizations like Motoblur or Sense. All the phones will have Google UI

Upvote 0
Question:

Everything I've read - and there's scant little out there save for nearly everyone referencing each other's rumors for 3.0 - is that the Android roadmap goes like this:

* 2.2 - speed

* 3.0 - unified UI, ending fragmentation, putting an end to MotoBlur, Sense, etc. (whatever "etc" is, tell me so I know)

Upvote 0
seriously, every site steals from other sites and puts their own twist on it. been happening since the internet started.

YouTube - LOBACHEVSKY - Tom Lehrer

PS - Yeah. No. When the internet started, we gave proper citation to the words of others. Of course, back then, we had bang-routing and today we have ad click-thrus.

The web was invented at Cern - to give a common format for the easy dissemination of scientific papers. I read the first ones. Citations survived - even then.

But, as John Glenn said when he was the first man to walk on the moon:

It's not what you know, it's what you think you know!

PPS - Took a while to find that link.

I had to wade through all of the people misquoting that as a rationale and a justification - because they truly believe that, in the words of one total moron:

As another teacher once told us, "Don't hide your eyes -- plagiarize!" In other words, there's no reason not to take a good look at the ...

Evidently, his teacher was as big a moron - the moral of the song is that when you plagiarize, what you end up with stinks. And yeah, Lehrer was a clever guy - more than a songwriter from the '60s.

At least most morons don't even get the words right (hide your eyes). Well - isn't that what good research is really all about?

Because otherwise, it might mean to search and search again and to not publish until you're certain that no search has uncovered the same information you have.

Otherwise, it all becomes noise - what some of Gibson's characters called, Babylon.

Wait. What?

Upvote 0
All these new features & added processing power is welcomed, but...what about how this is going to impact battery life??? SMH

From Engadget: " Google will be laying down the law with some hardcore hardware specs to run 3.0, demanding a minimum of a 3.5-inch display, a 1GHz processor, and 512MB of RAM...

How about "LAYING DOWN THE LAW" with some newer/longer battery technology to go along with these "MINIMUM" specs!

Just thought I would post some info I have been tracking for quite a while. The technology is coming, just give it time.

Nanowire battery:

Electric car- http://gcep.stanford.edu/pdfs/zEVLdhAVLgi--xWiiZyjiA/4.7.1_Cui_Web_Public_2010.pdf

Other mediums - New Nanowire Battery Holds 10 Times The Charge Of Existing Ones

More relevant to us - New Nanowire Battery Life Reaches From iPods to Electric Cars - Popular Mechanics

As you will notice, the tech has been around a while, but it takes about 5 years for something like this to even begin to be used, let alone be mainstream.

Patience, while a virtue.....still sucks when it comes to watching technology advance. Always makes you want the tech now.

Upvote 0
Just thought I would post some info I have been tracking for quite a while. The technology is coming, just give it time.

Nanowire battery:

Electric car- http://gcep.stanford.edu/pdfs/zEVLdhAVLgi--xWiiZyjiA/4.7.1_Cui_Web_Public_2010.pdf

Other mediums - New Nanowire Battery Holds 10 Times The Charge Of Existing Ones

More relevant to us - New Nanowire Battery Life Reaches From iPods to Electric Cars - Popular Mechanics

As you will notice, the tech has been around a while, but it takes about 5 years for something like this to even begin to be used, let alone be mainstream.

Patience, while a virtue.....still sucks when it comes to watching technology advance. Always makes you want the tech now.

A cross-post:

Batteries, huh? I agree.

I'm just shy the 2800 clams to see what's inside this one:

Batteries Supercapacitors Alternative Storage for Portable Devices

Another approach: IBM Aims for a Battery Breakthrough - BusinessWeek

Using Carbon Nanotubes to Produce Electricity

And finally, somethin' for nothin' - from:

Self-powered devices possible, researcher says

Upvote 0
you guys are gonna jynx us. i feel like i am being jipped by htc and sprint after reading this. if i don't get 3.0 then ill try and pretend like there is no 3.0. thats what i did with 2.1 and my hero. i forgot about it. (blocked it out!) then 4 or 5 day before i got my evo it came out. it will prob. be the same with the evo. well be told 5 to 10 release dates then they will let us have it 5 days prior to the release of a 2ghz, 15mp, 3gig ram super phone called the evo killer. lol

my cents

Upvote 0
im a little confused, im seeing sites reporting that one of the upgrades in 3.0 is that it will allow screens 4 inches and up to have resolutions of 1280 by 720 but then i see this and maybe another site reporting that as a requirement for the OS to run, so whats what? does the upgrade allow 4 inch screens like evo to bump the resolution to 1280 by 720 or is that part of the requirement list?

Upvote 0
woah!! reading this thread really makes me think about getting an evo right now. Don't get me wrong, I like the phone, but the camera seems pretty crappy, I don't think the music player is up to par, and the one I test in the store seems a little laggy (but that could be because its on display and stuff. Are better phones really set to drop in october?? If that's the case, I will probably hold out until at least november. I do like the Evo but it already sounds like better things are on the way.

Edit: I know better things are always on the way when it comes to technology, but october/november seems like a really small time fram to wait it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones