• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread (aka Android 2.3) on Evo!

Are you excited for Gingerbread?!?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just wanted to put this out there - here are the revision names, again:

Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb...

Or - C, D, E, F, G, and H.

That's been staring me in the face and I never noticed (Engadget author did, tho).

I don't know if they'll ever have another named release - but I'd be looking for Icecream if they do. ;)

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
i think we'll get gingerbread without a doubt. but to be honest its not very exciting. theres not one addition that made me say wow i cant wait for this update. that being said i still want the update because i enjoy having the latest and greatest and being up to date, plus it seems to run a good bit smoother. in addition to that it will also prep us for honeycomb which im sure will be loaded with new and exciting features. considering froyo and gingerbread were basically for the most part under the hood enhancements.. soo what im really hoping for right now is that when we get the 2.3 update that we get the new sense ui with it because that definitely packs a lot of cool upgrades.. but all in all we will definitely get 2.3.. specs wise evo beats the nexus s.. it will just be a matter of time. hopefully were the first ones to have it (aside from nexus s) which i can definitely see happening considering the popularity of the evo and how i see about 10 commercials of it every time im watching tv and like i said specs wise it definitely delivers

Upvote 0
My battery life suck now, running evo fresh by flips. I don't know why but I almost never have 4g signal, I never experienced 4g from the evo either. So I don't know what the big deal is about gingerbread. It would be nice if it fixes all of the bad things about all of the roms that I've tried thus far.

I never found a good Rom yet that has everything working perfectly.

Any thoughts or ideas?

im in the philadelphia area and have had 4g from the very start . when you get 4g signal it is lightning fast. the problem is that its very spotty.. im constantly losing the signal and then having it come back .. and it only works in certain areas of the city. and sprints 3g is very unimpressive.. before the evo i had a cliq on tmobiles service and i found their 3g speeds to be a great deal faster than sprints

Upvote 0
i think we'll get gingerbread without a doubt. but to be honest its not very exciting. theres not one addition that made me say wow i cant wait for this update. that being said i still want the update because i enjoy having the latest and greatest and being up to date, plus it seems to run a good bit smoother.

I felt exactly the same until I saw the official vid.

That said, this sort of thing boils down to personal choices, so here's what excited me:

I'm always hard over on codec updates, and native support for AAC, as well as built-in equalization methods. Thankfully, we have htc on our side, so we have h.264 already - that's not in the vid so I don't know if they missed it or not (and I've not reviewed the new dev kits (good idea, I'll do that now)). And, I'm not fooling anyone - anything that enhances speed while enhancing stability - yeah - I want it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3pdWBlZ34

Upvote 0
I felt exactly the same until I saw the official vid.

That said, this sort of thing boils down to personal choices, so here's what excited me:

I'm always hard over on codec updates, and native support for AAC, as well as built-in equalization methods. Thankfully, we have htc on our side, so we have h.264 already - that's not in the vid so I don't know if they missed it or not (and I've not reviewed the new dev kits (good idea, I'll do that now)). And, I'm not fooling anyone - anything that enhances speed while enhancing stability - yeah - I want it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3pdWBlZ34

one of my gripes with the android platform is the lack of quality gaming applications available so to see that their building on that and improving gaming is definitely good news.. and im sure theres more than meets the eye to gingerbread so im getting pretty excited for it.. and if nothing else im sure it will make our evos much quicker and run more smoothly which is always a big plus.. but now the new question. will we get honeycomb.. lol thats really getting ahead of myself.. but theres a lot of goodies to be passed out in the near future.. gingerbread. new htc sense. and eventually honeycomb.. i just wonder if all of it will make its way to the evo or will we have to wait for evo 2 to get all the goods

Upvote 0
but now the new question. will we get honeycomb.. lol thats really getting ahead of myself.. but theres a lot of goodies to be passed out in the near future.. gingerbread. new htc sense. and eventually honeycomb.. i just wonder if all of it will make its way to the evo or will we have to wait for evo 2 to get all the goods

Depends how you define all of the goods.

I read some details that one of the Honeycomb improvements is how it handles icons and widgets - specifically so that things mesh right visually going from phone-sized screens to tablet-sized screens.

You can find a lot of leaks on the web where Googlites are saying that Honeycomb is really just for tablets.

I say that to point out that months ago, Google publicly stated that Froyo was the last performance release and that Gingerbread was going to be UI only, and just other polishing.

Uh huh.

The only intelligent thing I can say to your question is that I'm only certain that our Evos face a reasonable probability of one day being insufficient to effectively run that future-lastest version of Android.

It's quite interesting that they downgraded the rev number of Gingerbread from 3.0 to 2.3 - with Honeycomb of course being 3.0 now.

If the rumor's true that 3.0 has dual-core support - and if - and I am saying if, not trying to start rumors, just if - the 3.0 marker is there to indicate a hardware requirement specification, then we'd be done.

It might be a case of when, not if, our phones become obsolete - but I don't know that for a fact.

Upvote 0
Couple of things:
Google has released the SDK for 2.3, but not the source code. My understanding is that you need the code to make your sense skins and whatnot, so I see it being a while before it comes to us.

Yes, there are root-only unstable builds of 2.3 already available. I'd be willing to bet that root users get it well before HTC comes with it.

A lot of what you can see with 2.3 is pretty minor eye candy type stuff. New keyboard and launcher--which HTC will get rid of anyway, colors at the bottom of lists, etc. But sounds like there's some cool "under-the-hood" stuff in 2.3, which is a good thing. It's just that it's not a big obvious change.

Near Field Comm. That feature will never come to Evo, due to hardware. Unless maybe we get a dongle. Ie: Evo is already obsolete (flame me if you want, but its true). NFC is a feature that I think is super cool, even if my friends think it's the Mark of the Beast :)

My $0.02

Upvote 0
Near Field Comm. That feature will never come to Evo, due to hardware. Unless maybe we get a dongle. Ie: Evo is already obsolete (flame me if you want, but its true). NFC is a feature that I think is super cool, even if my friends think it's the Mark of the Beast :)

FYI an NFC enabled micro-SD card backed by VISA and a few others was just certified and will probably be on the market early next year.

Just saying...

Upvote 0
Actually, there were a lot of links on this and a lot of speculation on this earlier in the year. I know - I helped spread them around here.

Lately, it's come to light that Gingerbread is much more than a UI enhancement (although it includes that) and I posted in another subforum a statement by HTC's head of UI that they expect no conflict with Gingerbread and their ongoing plans to continue to develop and improve Sense.

So - it's valid that that was a widely-discussed concern, but it's been overcome.

(As time allows, I'll track down my other post with HTC's statement and link it here.)

Reactions: SamuraiBigEd
Upvote 0
I think they should focus on what's around the corner, like getting Froyo 2.2 on the EVO, Droid X, etc, before talking about Gingerbread, and the newest Android devices with mind blowing specs. Makes me feel like my phone will be old in a couple of months, while newer devices are shipping with 3.0, all the while I'm only 5-6 months into a new 2 year contract. what happen to the Recession? Did it end? Is America back on top, and can the average person jump in and update their device by spending $500 on a new phone. or will Sprint let us all upgrade...lol!

To be honest, I do a good job of keeping up with the times, and technology. However I just got the EVO on June 4th, and now their talking about the next operating system that comes after the one I don't even have yet? And talking about it being available around Christmas time of 2010? Truth be told , that's fine, just throw it out there that, Our Most Recent Flag Ship Sprint Android Phone will be able to receive Gingerbread. But first ill take some Froyo please..
This might be old news but mine came installed with 2.2

Upvote 0
Dear Santa

We both know I've not been very good this yr ..

I dont need anything for myself..I can make do with what I have.

But my little friend ..her name is evo.
She has been a good girl. But she feels old and week. She would love to get gingerbread with new sense. Can you help her? I am not asking for me, her sad face is too much to bear.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Dear Santa

We both know I've not been very good this yr ..

I dont need anything for myself..I can make do with what I have.

But my little friend ..her name is evo.
She has been a good girl. But she feels old and week. She would love to get gingerbread with new sense. Can you help her? I am not asking for me, her sad face is too much to bear.

Thanks

LOL... I am actually just happy I got my Evo, and I love it the way it works... I came from the hero.. I loved my hero, but I REALLY LOVE my EVO. It responds and acts what I expected my hero to respond. So if and when Gingerbread comes out, it will only be a plus to have it. THANK HTC for making a NON APPLE product! LOVE IT!

Upvote 0
LOL... I am actually just happy I got my Evo, and I love it the way it works... I came from the hero.. I loved my hero, but I REALLY LOVE my EVO. It responds and acts what I expected my hero to respond. So if and when Gingerbread comes out, it will only be a plus to have it. THANK HTC for making a NON APPLE product! LOVE IT!
Non Apple? Did they ever?

Upvote 0
I love my Evo, but hate the lag with the stock keyboard, it prevents me from typing the way I want to type, ad with gingerbread, they sped it up, and typing should be more fluid, so I am patiently waiting for 2.3, Sprint would hot a homerun if they can get it to evo before xmas, if they don't, I will be very disappointed, but not surprised, however with Sprints track record with 2.2 being the first out of the gates, I think we will get it very soon

Upvote 0
Yup... Thats what I meant... I am glad there is something else out there, IMO is better and is not Apple...

Fine i'll admit it.... Never liked apple ANYTHING! I have always been a MS fan, but I have also been a linux fan, so to see linux be a 3rd party oen ended OS and turn into something that is making Apple turn their heads... I will support my linux brotha! LOL

Upvote 0
Yup... Thats what I meant... I am glad there is something else out there, IMO is better and is not Apple...

Fine i'll admit it.... Never liked apple ANYTHING! I have always been a MS fan, but I have also been a linux fan, so to see linux be a 3rd party oen ended OS and turn into something that is making Apple turn their heads... I will support my linux brotha! LOL

I use Windows, Linux and OS X every day. I think they each have their advantages, but we're a far cry from having an operating system for PCs that's as tightly focused and directly straightforward as Android.

At this rate of development, if the time comes that I can use Android for everything - I will. It already fulfills nearly 100% of my personal computing requirements.

For work I just use whatever OS has the best support for the apps I need for my job.

But for personal use - c'mon Gingerbread!

Upvote 0
I use Windows, Linux and OS X every day. I think they each have their advantages, but we're a far cry from having an operating system for PCs that's as tightly focused and directly straightforward as Android.

At this rate of development, if the time comes that I can use Android for everything - I will. It already fulfills nearly 100% of my personal computing requirements.

For work I just use whatever OS has the best support for the apps I need for my job.

But for personal use - c'mon Gingerbread!

Ditto! I mainly use MS, but if Android can make it on a pc, So long MS... HELLO ANDROID! but until then... MS... I think whoever HTC has on their developemnt team, that man or woman, either got a huge raise or has stock option sense they decided to use the linux OS. GOOD FOR THEM!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones